Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Looking for some information and GERD. Have a few questions

Looking for some information and GERD. Have a few questions about symptoms.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : Most typical symptoms of GERD would be the typical feeling of heartburn...
Anthony Bray, MD : a burning sensation coming into the esophagus and felt in the chest...
Anthony Bray, MD : you might experience brackish taste in the back of the throat...
Anthony Bray, MD : Discomfort may be felt in epigastric area and up to lower chest commonly...
Anthony Bray, MD : you might experience discomfort with swallowing hot drinks or acidic drinks such as orange juice...
Anthony Bray, MD : if the problem bothers you then taking a medicine to lower the acidity of the stomach fluid may help reduce symptoms and irritation if the esophagus --- over the counter Prilosec or Prevacid may be helpful...
Customer:

I get the sour taste in my mouth, and definitely lots of burping. Initially when diagnosed I was experiencing the sensation of something being stuck in my throat. I do not really have that anymore, however I'm experiencing a couple of other things. Is it normal for some of the symptoms to change over time?

Anthony Bray, MD : Reflux precautions include waiting 1.5 hours after you eat before you lie down...
Anthony Bray, MD : elevating the head of the bed with blocks 4 to 6 inches under the bedposts helps to keep trunk at incline and reduces tendency for reflux when you lie down...
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes symptoms may change over time...
Customer:

I'm currently noticing pain about my chest and upper back. Not a sharp pain, more of a dull discomfort. I have also noticed a feeling of fullness/soreness about my jaw and ears.

Anthony Bray, MD : sour taste in the mouth is common...
Anthony Bray, MD : Those could be related-- yes--- pain from esophagus can radiate to chest/ back / jaw...
Customer:

i'm just trying to figure out if the chest and upper back pain are from reflux, muscle tension, nerve pain, or otherwise. I suppose they could be muscular, from tension? I believe nerve pain would be sharper?

Anthony Bray, MD : these distribution areas do correspond with heart related angina as well which is concerning and frequent dilemma in evaluating this problem...
Customer:

I asked my doctor about heart issues, and he mentioned that with angina, or cardiac problems, the pain is most often worse upon exertion.

Anthony Bray, MD : That is true... Sometimes helpful to use GI cocktail --- Mylanta plus viscous lidocaine --- if this relieves pain then it establishes the cause to esophagus...
Customer:

He also stated that alongside pain, cardiac issues also usually cause one to be short of breath?

Anthony Bray, MD : often we do have to be careful in evalautimh this problem!
Customer:

my pain is not worse upon exertion, and I go running several times a week - do not have a problem with being out of breath.

Anthony Bray, MD : if certain foods trigger symptoms too then that is helpful clue...
Anthony Bray, MD : the bad taste in mouth would NOT be from other source
Customer:

i find too that the pain about the chest and back are often times positional, which my doctor stated would indicate a muscular issue. is that true?

Anthony Bray, MD : yes positional changes in pain would more suggest musculoskeletal origin but bending over at waist can trigger reflux too...
Customer:

i suppose that what i'm experiencing could be a combination of muscular tension, reflux, and probably anxiety.

Anthony Bray, MD : the character of pain with change may indicate separate problem such as pain from spine for example ... Sharp shooting quality would more suggest nerve compression...
Customer:

what about some sort of cancer? my friend who has lymphoma had chest pain. however, hers was severe/sharp, and she was also very out of breath.

Anthony Bray, MD : yes -- that sounds very likely--- muscle pains usually more of ache and may relate to work/ position/ etc...
Anthony Bray, MD : Well there would seem no reason to jump to suspicion of lymphoma ... Reflux and muscle aches are very common ... Lymphoma not that common at all...
Customer:

i usually jump to the worst case scenario.

Anthony Bray, MD : abnormal fatigue, fever, chills, enlarged lymph nodes would be more symptoms to watch for there...
Customer:

i do not believe i have those things, although i really don't know what enlarged lymph nodes would either feel or look like.

Anthony Bray, MD : There is your anxiety factor jumping in! That is human nature I think to fear the worst!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Happily it is not usually the worst case scenario at all!
Customer:

i cannot feel any lumps in the usual suspect areas (neck, armpits, groin).

Anthony Bray, MD : You can feel lymph nodes in your neck and sometimes in armpit areas...
Anthony Bray, MD : large and hard like a small marble would be what to worry about
Customer:

i wouldn't have to go digging around to find them?

Anthony Bray, MD : That is good... If you can't feel them at all then they are not enlarged...
Anthony Bray, MD : No, not really they are very superficial-- close to the skin-- they tend to hurt and feel sore when enlarged....
Customer:

ok. because i really don't want to have something awful, like cancer! i have always been scared of it.

Customer:

i should mention, getting back to the reflux, that i drink coffee every day, and have been drinking wine consistently lately too (i love red wine in the fall). could these things be causing irritation?

Anthony Bray, MD : well you have nothing to suggest cancer at this time! Just routine problems!
Anthony Bray, MD : most of us will have reflux to some extent for example... This is very common problem...
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes coffee and alcoholic drinks may irritate the problem... I would try backing off until you are free of symptoms for a few weeks...
Anthony Bray, MD : watch out too for anti- inflammatory meds( aspirin/Aleve/ Advil) Tylenol is OK...
Anthony Bray, MD : watch out for hot spicy and acidic foods for a while too....
Anthony Bray, MD : onions,peppers, tomatoes, citrus fruits be very moderate in intake over next few weeks...
Customer:

okay, thanks so much for your help.

Anthony Bray, MD : You are very welcome!
Anthony Bray, MD : let me know if you have further questions!
Anthony Bray, MD : Best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD