Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

I have constipation & have had it for a long as I can

Customer Question

I have chronic constipation & have had it for a long as I can remember. Both parents died at age 57 of colon cancer(they too were always constipated) so I have colonoscopies every 5 years. I am 75 years old & the only thing that empties my intestines is the prep OTC liquids or 6 Dulcolax. All of which keep me close to a bathroom for the entire next day. Doctors only recommend powder-type supplements that bloat, cause horrible gas & don't work for me even after 2 weeks of bloating & very bad flatulence. I eat fruit & drink water all day, every day & walk 2 miles every day.

Is there anything else that can be done in a case like mine?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

please type and hit reply

Dr. Natasha :

are you seeing a GI doctor?

Dr. Natasha :

do you have any kidney disease?

Customer:

I am seeing a GI doctor. I have no kidney disease.

Dr. Natasha :

well, the problem with chronic constipation is that the more constipated you are, the harder it is to have a BM

Dr. Natasha :

so you need to be really on top of it

Dr. Natasha :

You should be having a BM minimum every 2 days

Dr. Natasha :

You can take milk of magnesia every other day

Dr. Natasha :

they do this for patients who are bedridden and cannot stool well or those who are on narcotics for terminal diseaes

Dr. Natasha :

mixing it with prune juice helps too

Dr. Natasha :

a device like this also helps lift the legs up and makes the sigmoid colon empty into the toilet better

Dr. Natasha :

http://www.squattypotty.com/Articles.asp?ID=267

Customer:

Is milk of magnesia stronger than other laxatives? I drink prune juice every day

Dr. Natasha :

it is different

Dr. Natasha :

it is an osmotic laxative so it doesn't work like a stimulant laxative like dulcolax

Customer:

in what way?

Dr. Natasha :

it is easier and better for the bowels- over time the stimulant laxatives damage the nerves

Dr. Natasha :

it works by drawing water into the bowel and moving the constipated material through

Customer:

I will try both & get back to you.

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
ok- will check in with you in 1 week :-)