Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

i have had pain; problem walking for 4 years now; had a new

Customer Question

i have had pain; problem walking for 4 years now; had a new hip 10 years ago which was fine until I started excersising 4 years ago & overdid it; have nerve pain/ burning & weakness in the muscles ever since ; have tried physio & has helped a little; any suggestions I am desperate :( I have had two botox shots which help with the pain; I cant live like this forever help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there?

Dr. Natasha :

Are you under the care of a pain management physician?

Dr. Natasha :

did you have a MRI of the back?

Customer:

yes, I had an MRI a few years ago; showed a slight herniated disc

Dr. Natasha :

when was the MRI?

Dr. Natasha :

Customer:

yes, I have a pain management dr. who gives me the botox shots.

Customer:

however I want to fix the problem???

Dr. Natasha :

when was the MRI?

Dr. Natasha :

No I understand, I am trying to find out what you have had done

Dr. Natasha :

so I can help you

Customer:

about 2 years ago, was of the lower back,

Customer:

I have a new right hip, that my ortho surgeon pinned high as I had a huge leg discremency

Dr. Natasha :

did the MRI show any pinching of the nerves?

Customer:

I did get over the surgery & fully recovered from this

Customer:

no pinching of the nerves

Dr. Natasha :

does your orthopedic surgeon know about your pain?

Customer:

yes, he sent me for the MRI & told me to do physio

Customer:

also prescribed Lyrica

Dr. Natasha :

okay so you have taken lyria, done physio and botox, correct?

Dr. Natasha :

anything else?

Customer:

yes, have had a cortisone shot in my spine which did nothing

Dr. Natasha :

ok thanks

Dr. Natasha :

well, I am going to be honest with you- unless there is a surgical issue- like nerve compression from a slipped disc, etc there is no complete cure for the pain.

Dr. Natasha :

only management of the symptoms-

Dr. Natasha :

but you can get more relief

Dr. Natasha :

for sure

Dr. Natasha :

you can talk to your doctor about a TENS unit

Dr. Natasha :

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/325107-overview

Customer:

will the muscles ever be ok??

Dr. Natasha :

if the nerve to the muscle was damaged, it can take a very long time to heal, sometimes never

Dr. Natasha :

they are also using ketamine for pain

Dr. Natasha :

http://www.empr.com/for-recalcitrant-neuropathic-pain-consider-outpatient-ketamine/article/229477/

Dr. Natasha :

the physio will help build up the surrounding muscle

Dr. Natasha :

so it is super important you keep up with it

Customer:

so long term I should just keep up the physio??

Dr. Natasha :

absolutely

Dr. Natasha :

make it part of your life and your routine

Dr. Natasha :

it will also keep you strong in years to come

Dr. Natasha :

I started on physio for my blown up knee and I still do 30 minutes a day- keeps my leg strong

Customer:

is there any surgery I can have for this muscle

Dr. Natasha :

no, unfortunately, it is almost impossible to repair muscle surgically because it has fibers that tear

Dr. Natasha :

if there was a torn tendon, they can tack it back on

Dr. Natasha :

or a ligament

Customer:

would a catscan to see what is going on with the muscles/nerves of my butt help??

Dr. Natasha :

you would need a MRI

Customer:

so I should just keep up the physio and hope it eventually helps??

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
I would keep up with the physio for muscle recruitment and strength and ask about the TENS unit and ask about ketamine.

I will check in with you in 2 weeks- ok?