Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

The last week of August I would feel really run down and sick

The last week of August I would feel really run down and sick when I went for a run and was also starting to lose my memory a bit. Couldn't remember what I ate or did earlier the same day, etc. Then I started having a foggy feeling and feeling like I was going to pass out when I was at work. Eventually I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep on 9/9/13. I took amoxicillin (I'm allergic to most other drugs) 500mg 3x a day for 10 days. I was feeling much better. A few days after the drugs ran out I started feeling a lot of facial stiffness and my teeth and jaw hurt. I went back to the doctor and he said I have a sinus infection and gave me Augmentin for a "sinus infection". I couldn't handle the full 875 mg so he told me to take a half 2x a day for 10 days. Today is day 7 and I am still feeling the pressure in my head and neck increasing slightly each day. Any idea what might be happening?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

please type and hit reply :-)

Dr. Natasha : are you taking a decongestant?
Dr. Natasha : or nasal inhaler?
Customer:

I am not. Just the antibiotic. I do not have any sinus pain. The pressure is on the sides of my head and jaw

Dr. Natasha :

the pressure is from the sinuses

Dr. Natasha :

when the sinuses are inflammed, they cause pressure

Dr. Natasha :

you can take a decongestant to help

Dr. Natasha :

because if they are treating you for sinus infection, you need a decongestant

Dr. Natasha :

did you see what I wrote?

Customer:

I'm just not sure that I really have a sinus infection. My nose isn't stuffy or anything

Dr. Natasha :

you don't need a stuffy nose.

Dr. Natasha :

but you can have a sinus infection without it

Customer:

how long until I feel better? is the dose of Augmentin I am taking strong enough?

Dr. Natasha :

why can't you tolerate the augmentin?

Customer:

The 875 was making me dizzy and I need to be alert when I am at work

Dr. Natasha :

how about 500mg?

Dr. Natasha :

cutting it to less than 500 twice a day may not work

Dr. Natasha :

have you tried zithromax?

Dr. Natasha :

that is once a day for 5 days

Customer:

I tried taking half 3 times a day instead of two and that made me feel worse

Dr. Natasha :

that is a lot of medication- I don't really like augmetin for that reason- it is hard to take it

Dr. Natasha :

but you can have sinusitis without congestion- the pressure and full ness are the symptom

Dr. Natasha :

you need a decongestant

Customer:

Zithromax was the first one I tried but after I reacted really badly with Levoquin (made my heart race and act weird for a while even after I stopped taking it) I had a similar reaction to Zithromax

Dr. Natasha :

got it

Dr. Natasha :

well, the minimum augmentin should be 500mg 3x a day or 875 twice a day

Dr. Natasha :

anything less than that doesn't work

Dr. Natasha :

and you need to take it for 10 days

Dr. Natasha :

This is probably why you are not getting better

Customer:

Would the 437 3x a day work better? I am only 100 pounds

Dr. Natasha :

ok. let me try the pediatric dosing for you. hold on

Dr. Natasha :

ok you are just over into adult (45 kg plus)

Dr. Natasha :

437 3x a day doesn't work better because it is the amount of the antibiotic- you are still less than that

Dr. Natasha :

you can do 500mg 3x a day

Customer:

Gotcha. I asked for the 500 originally but I think my doctor just sucks. Explains why I'm not feeling better though

Dr. Natasha :

Ah. I am sorry :-(

Dr. Natasha :

THis is what the pill looks like fyi

Dr. Natasha :

http://www.drugs.com/imprints/augmentin-500-125-90.html

Dr. Natasha :

But please try sudafed too

Dr. Natasha :

it is over the counter.

Dr. Natasha :

or you can use phenylephrine

Customer:

Alright, thank you :)

Dr. Natasha :

you are welcome

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service? :-)?

Customer:

Better than my other doctor :)

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing