Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

Could my symptoms be related to HIV? About 3years ago i had

Could my symptoms be related to HIV?
About 3years ago i had sexual intercourse. During the first few minutes we didn't use any protection. A couple of days after intercourse i came down with flu like symptoms, aching leg muscles and chronic diarrhoea. most of these symptoms lasted just over a month but the chronic diarrhoea lasted months. For the last couple of years i have been worrying about this but i'm too scared to get tested.

Thanks for using just answer

In order to help you find an answer, could you please answer the following:

Do you have any idea of HIV status of your partner?

Do you still have diarrhea?

What investigations were done to determine the cause of chronic diarrhea?

Any treatment given?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No i don't know his HIV status. I don't suffer with diarrhea anymore. I never went to the doctor for my chronic diarrhea so there was no treatment given to me. The diarrhea lasted for over 6 months

Ok. One more question before i can give you a helpful answer.

Did you check your full blood count during or after diarrhea settles?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well i had a full blood count done not so long ago and everything was ok apart from my ferritin levels were low and was diagnosed with iron defiecency anemia

Ok and thanks for your input.

In my view your chronic diarrhea is unlikely related to HIV. In HIV your blood counts drops first and you develop immunodeficiency followed by various infections like pneumonia and chronic diarrhea. So there is nothing to worry about in this scenario when your blood counts are normal and you develop diarrhea. Its not related to HIV. However anyone can remain asyptomatic with HIV but your symptoms and diarrhea with normal counts is not suggesting HIV. I hope I could help clear this up for you.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so if i was infected with HIV does that mean that my blood count would be abnormal? How long would it take for your blood count to be abnormal if i were infected?

There is no specific time period for this to happen. One can be symptoms free with normal blood counts for years. In your scenario despite it is unlikely that you can have HIV i will recomend you to go for HIV testing once to rule out it so that you can be relax afterward.