Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Hello need help with reading pathology report. This was from

Hello need help with reading pathology report. This was from 2010 and i've just received the full report in the mail as I'm going to see another GI doctor.

What does :

1) inactive superficial gastritis in the Gastric mean
2) inactive moderate chronic gastritis in the antral (consistent with past h.pylori infection non found on biopsy)
3) mild inactive chronic carditis
4) mild chronic reflux oesphagitis

My question is what does inactive mean? Also can this condition be healed - I felt better after the gastroscopy and was treated for h.pylori back in 2010 after the procedure along with nexium. No bacteria was found in biopsy. Now I am having some similar symptoms in 2013 for over a month not improving with nexium.

So was my stomach ever healed or was it just inactive? Any help in decoding will be great.
Hello
It all means inflammation in the stomach and esophagus.

In active means not spreading, and not swollen or badly inflamed , but evidenced of inflammation previous inflammation.

What this means really is that the inflammation was moving around.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't understand if it is inactive why would it be causing symptoms. And by inactive does that mean it was already healing?

Does this mean my stomach would have recovered if I had repeated the procedure a couple of months down the track and no evidence of inflammation seen or does it mean if it is chronic it just remains in that inactive inflammed state.

Yes, it means one area was healing but the other inflammed.

No your stomach would not have recovered without having the h pylori treated, it would have just kept coming back.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well there was evidence of POSSIBLE past infection based on the results of gastroscopy but no evidence active infection. I was treated by triple therapy anyway.

So then after the treatment I felt better (even though no active infection which is what confuses me) - does that mean the chronic gastritis would have healed then?

Also I am currently having a recurrence of symptoms but not improving with nexium 40mg (taken for about five weeks already). How likely is it that it is the same gastritis and it was just 'inactive' for two years?

Yes
The chronic aspect is because of the h pylori
It is possible that it can come back, you should have a stool sample for h pylori done.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the multitude of questions but :

if I had PAST h.pylori infection based on the gastroscopy how could it have gone away without treatment. As there was no active infection found on gastroscopy biopsy. I was treated AFTER the gastroscopy even though no present bacteria was found. This is the confusing thing - could h,pylori have gone away on its own?

It can go way but it will come back.
Some people have h pylori without any findings.
You have to eradicate it to prevent recurrence.
Please do not forget a positive rating.