Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I just found out today that I have IGG3 deficiency. I am a

I just found out today that I have IGG3 deficiency. I am a 43 year old female and was only told that it is the reason I am always sick with sinus infections/bronchitis and that I would need to go in every three weeks for some type of hemoglobin transfusions to the VA hospital. Will this be for the rest of my life and can you tell me anything else or a website and key word where I can learn more about the disorder?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

I understand your confusions.

Mysticdoc :

IgG3 is a subset of IgG antibodies produced by the the white blood cells, lymphoid tissues.

Mysticdoc :

In some individuals like yours there can be genetic defect resulting in defective IgG3 production.

Mysticdoc :

IgG3 deficiency results in recurrent sinopulmonary infections with streptococcal, and M catarrhalis bacteria.

Mysticdoc :

These bacterial infection can be prevented by the pneumococcal vaccines in most cases and also with prophylactic antibiotics.

Mysticdoc :

But in some individuals, this may not be sufficient.

Mysticdoc :

In that case, Immunoglobulin infusion is suggested every 4 weeks for 1-2 yrs.

Mysticdoc :

After 1-2 yrs, your response should be re evaluated.

Mysticdoc :

In most cases the treatment can be stopped at that time.

Mysticdoc :

In some cases, the treatment may need to be repeated in future.

Mysticdoc :

But life long treatment is not usually required.

Mysticdoc :

You can get more information in the following link:

Mysticdoc :

Please reply here if you have any further question.

Please do not rate till you have all your questions answered to your full satisfaction.

Mysticdoc :

Are you able to read my replies---Please reply here.

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.
Mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Mysticdoc : Hi there,
Mysticdoc : I understand your confusions.
Mysticdoc : IgG3 is a subset of IgG antibodies produced by the the white blood cells, lymphoid tissues.
Mysticdoc : In some individuals like yours there can be genetic defect resulting in defective IgG3 production.
Mysticdoc : IgG3 deficiency results in recurrent sinopulmonary infections with streptococcal, and M catarrhalis bacteria.
Mysticdoc : These bacterial infection can be prevented by the pneumococcal vaccines in most cases and also with prophylactic antibiotics.
Mysticdoc : But in some individuals, this may not be sufficient.
Mysticdoc : In that case, Immunoglobulin infusion is suggested every 4 weeks for 1-2 yrs.
Mysticdoc : After 1-2 yrs, your response should be re evaluated.
Mysticdoc : In most cases the treatment can be stopped at that time.
Mysticdoc : In some cases, the treatment may need to be repeated in future.
Mysticdoc : But life long treatment is not usually required.
Mysticdoc : You can get more information in the following link:
Mysticdoc : http://www.immunedisease.com/about-pi/types-of-pi/igg-subclass-deficiency.html
Mysticdoc : Please reply here if you have any further question.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is this deficiency always caused by hereditary means? Before I went to Saudi Arabia with the US Air Force back in 1992, one month prior to going to Saudi troops had to get a "GG shot" and ever since I went to Saudi I have gotten chronic sinus infections and bronchitis. Later the day I got the shot, I got the first and worst headache of my life which turned out to be the onset of me getting migraine headaches to which I still get two migraines a week which usually last 2-3 days each; so, I pretty much always have one... just to varying degrees. Could this shot have triggered the onset of this deficiency and/or activated the disease in me and with the migraine reaction to just the "GG shot" would the gG infusions result in more migraines for me or does the deficiency perhaps cause the migraines? And, thank you for all of the previous information you have given me on this subject as I am very pleased with the info and website you provided me.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.
That is a good concern.
There is no study to show the effect of GG shot on IgG subclass deficiency.
Even if there was at military level, there is no public record of that.
This may be a possibility but no definite proof available.

Best wishes,
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD