Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Hi, Im wondering about my husbands condition. A year ago

I'm wondering about my husband's condition. A year ago he was hospitalized with throwing up blood and bloody stool for a long period of time. He was diagnosed with liver chirrosis, but the doctors did not share his MELD score or lab results. He got some plasma and came home. They did not do a biopsy. He has abscites in his stomach and severe swelling, edema, in his legs in spite of medication. He is on beta blockers, diuretics. His mental state is declining. He had 2-3 episodes when he had no idea where he was or who he was. He feels tired every day, has a yellowish color, has muscle pain and sleeps a lot. He is always angry and snaps all the time. Even though he reduced his alcohol intake he still drinks. he does not let me go to the doctor with him and he always tells me they did not tell him anything. I don't know what to think and if he is close to dying. I would like some answers on what to expect. I'm scarred to death and don't know if I will be able to take care of him if this gets worse. Please help me with some advice. Thank you!
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

I'm very sorry he is in this state

I am going to be very honest with you here

Based on your description, if he is still drinking he is very close to death. Jaundice, ascites, bleeding are all signs of advanced liver disease. He is also still drinking which will not allow him to get a liver transplant.

I would say that he is very close to death if he continues to drink

I would estimate that he won't last 6 months at this rate.

He will need to quit drinking and get a liver transplant to have any chance at all.

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any way I could talk to his doctor without his permission, or get his lab test results? When is a good time to get hospice care for him, or is he even eligible?

Yes, he would be eligible for hospice now

You can talk to his doctor. Yes. Just call the doctor and ask to speak with him/her.

He might not be able to tell you labs but you can tell him anything you need to.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)