Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been diagnose with IBS. I also have an inguinal hernia

I have been diagnose with IBS. I also have an inguinal hernia (left side). The problem is mild to severe episodic abdominal pain. It can occur any time , but is worse between 4 and 8 AM. I have pain free periods at various times. The worst pain at night is a combination of nausea, gnawing and cramps. iT can migrate around the abdomen. Cramps occur low and near the hernia site. The gnawing pain occurs along the path of the transverse and descending colon . Other pains can occur under the ribs on both sides. The different areas can all hurt at the same time, or one at a time. I don't have diarrhea ,or constipation. THe area of the hernia during the episodes does not seem distended, and is not tender. Changing position sometimes affects the pain. Is it from the hernia, or from the IBS. MY GP said if I get severe pains ,accompanied by tenderness, and swelling of the hernia, it is an emergency. IT is not tender or distended. This has happened off and on for weeks. I do not have insurance , and am unemployed and can't be running to the ER or Dr all the time unless it is necessary. I have anappt next week . Can it wait till then? I always wear a truss during my waking hours,and avoid lifting, and all but light exercise.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

These symptoms are not inguinal hernia related since there is no increasing swelling or tenderness.

Mysticdoc :

The cramps and nausea are likely intestinal in origin.

Mysticdoc :

IBS is the likely cause.

Mysticdoc :

Given the location, this is likely intestinal.

Mysticdoc :

Stomach ulcer is not likely since it is not limited to upper abdomen.

Mysticdoc :

You can try restricting your diet to cooked veggies only, fruits without much fibers for easier digestion.

Mysticdoc :

Avoid dairy products.

Mysticdoc :

You can resume probiotics daily.

Mysticdoc :

Also, adequate fluids can be helpful.

Mysticdoc :

Gas and bloating should improve with these changes which will in turn help with your symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

Now, there is a medication called simethicone ( GsX) over the counter.

Mysticdoc :

You can try that before each meal to reduce gas and bloating which can cause random generalized pain.

Mysticdoc :

Does not sound concerning now and you may wait till your next appt.

Customer:

Thanks , I just wanted to make certain it wasn't the hernia. I am going back to the Dr next week , so I guess it can wait till then.

Customer:

I don't want to wake up with a strangulated hernia.

Mysticdoc :

no this does not sound like one.