Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

Recently I had a T.I.A. I am 71 years old. I had a heart attack

Recently I had a T.I.A. I am 71 years old. I had a heart attack in 2003 and an additional stent in 2009. My blood pressure is usually 136/70 and my heart rate 60. However I recently found out that when I sleep my heart rate goes to 38. I take the following drugs: Metroprolol Succ 100MG, Crestor 10 MG, Clopidogrel 75 MG, 2 Aspirins 81 MG. I think it is the meds. that keep my heart too low and maybe I should taken off or the drugs should be reduced to prevent another stroke. The heart damage occurred to the bottom of my heart and it is sluggish but still working.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question.
Heart rate of 38 is a bit too low. However your blood pressure is pretty good.
The main reason for your low heart rate as I see it is the metoprolol that you are on.
I think that you should discuss this with your cardiologist as you may require reduction in the dose of metoprolol particularly if you are having symptoms at this very low heart rate.
Plus I would also like that you should have an EKG repeated to make sure that its nothing serious like a heart block that may happen intermittently and may require a pacemaker. To detect an intermittent heart block you may require to wear a holter monitor for 24 hours.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Please do rate me for my services when you are satisfied.
Kindest Regards