Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Hi. Im going to be seeing my GP about the results of blood

Hi. I'm going to be seeing my GP about the results of blood and urine tests, as well as a renal ultrasound, as it has just been confirmed that I have CKD (stage 3a) and hypertension (new, as well) and possible anemia (again, new symptom).

What will likely happen if she finds positive results OR if nott? Will these answers determine if I can halt or reverse the KD? How will I know if my kidneys will continue to deteriorate, like she says it's been doing for the past 2ys?I have no risks factors, except all the medication I've been taking for Mdepression & Complex PTSD. These meds have also contributed to me becoming obese, which is now a risk factor, of course. I've always been slim and active but I haven't been able to be active in several years because I have had some bad falls that are resulting in an MRI, in about a month (side issue, there).
Should I insist that I be referred to a Nephrologist and a renal dietician, even if she thinks my condition isn't serious enough?

This is all new to me and my Dr. is far away from me, so I want to make the best use of my time with her.

Thank you in advance for your opinions,
A.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified physician with over 20 years of clinical experience. I will help you with your question and any follow up questions you have.

Any chronic condition of the kidneys is serious and needs a nephrology consult in my view.

In your case, you don't really have a diagnosis at this point.

It can be from long standing hypertension....but if the HTN is not long standing, it might be from autoimmune kidney disease. Diabetes is the third typical cause.

In many cases a renal biopsy is needed to fully diagnose the problem, and that requires the specialist.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Thomas, thank you for your help. I do have follow-up questions/comments.

I'm unclear as to why I don't really have a diagnosis yet. The diagnostic eGFD (my mind is foggy right now -- is that the right acronym?) was tested at a 6 month interval and I was told I have CKD Stage a (48-51). Do I require more tests or information to be diagnosed with CKD? There seems to be so little information out there....

FYI :-) As you noted, my HTN is new, within the last 6 months (I've always had low-normal BP). Also worthy to note is that I'm on a med-high dose of medication for HTN, but for an off label reason -- so that really scares me because I imagine without taking that medication, my High BP might be even higher (range: 100/91-150).

However, I do not have pre/diabetes, fortunately, and neither it nor HTN run in my family, either. I eat very healthy 90% of the time, so hopefully that helps. I don't have Metabolic Disorder, or other things like that and their is no obesity, etc., in my family tree, either.

My GP said that I do not have any of the risk factors for CKD, and I'm not sure if I've heard of an autoimmune disorder (cysts??) that can cause what I have. Can you be more specific about what kind of autoimmune disorder can cause this; I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year, but it basically just causes leg cramps.

Finally, what kind of information does a biopsy give about CKD than the other tests (blood, urine, ultrasound).

Thank you again for your help Dr. Thomas; not an easy case, I know.

A.

You have a diagnoses of CKD but not a reason [diagnosis] for the CKD.
Autoimmune is at a cellular level and causes chronic renal failure,,,,the type of autoimmune problem requires biopsy, for example, IgA nephropathy. That is why blood tests are not enough

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc