Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

I have red painless smooth patches at the base of my tongue

I have red painless smooth patches at the base of my tongue and red painless leison. I also have a tight Chest and infllamated throat but not sore. Headaches. My fear is cancer but I saw the Dr and waiting for review on Thursday. The wait is killing me. I am 41 years old. I have tried Trisporal, locabiotal pump and inteflora.
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Regarding your concern I want to tell you that the most common cause of red patches on the tongue is a condition known as geographic tongue. People affected by this condition usually have painless tongue red patches contrasting with areas of gray giving the appearance of a geographic map.The exact cause of geographic tongue isn't completely understood, but there appears to be some genetic susceptibility to this strange condition since it's seen more frequently in certain families. It's also more common in people who have allergic conditions, asthma, psoriasis, and eczema of the skin.Geographic tongue is a harmless condition that is usually not indicative of underlying illness but for exact diagnosis and examination you should go to dr on coming appointment,do not worry and good luck.
Please leave positive feedback for me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your answer dr but i have further questions.what is the probability of it being cancer, has there ever been a confusion between geographic tongue and cance? what about the raised painless bump at the base of the tongue

Cancer usually present with pain swelling,ulcerated lesion.Unexplained bleeding,numbness in tongue ,refered pain in ear can be the feature of cancer.Your case is different and you do not have such symptoms.So do not worry geographical tongue has no relation with cancer.
Positive feedback will be appreciated.