Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Hi Dr. I woke up during the night and when I went to get out

Hi Dr.

I woke up during the night and when I went to get out of bed I felt really dizzy and lost my balance, I got to the bathroom and thought that I had just jumped out of be to quickly, I woke again a couple of hours ago and went to get up and get ready for work but the same think happened again, I am ok if I am lieing still but everytime I go to move my head starts spinning really badly and I cannot maintain my balance. I am 46 and generally in good health. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thank you, Ann
Hi Ann. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Do you have any ear pain or ear problems. Flu like symptoms?

Q. Do you have a headache?

Q. Have you been drinking enough water?

Q. What is your age?

Q. Previously diagnosed medical conditions?

Q. Are you on any medication?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr

No, I have no ear pain but I do have a headache although not a bad one, the back of my head is a bit sore. I have been drinking plenty of water. I am 46 and I have no medical conditions and am not on any medication

Thanks for the details.

The dizziness or better known as vertigo in your case seems to be either due to postural hypotension that is a decrease (relative or absolute) in the circulating blood volume when standing up from a lying down position, this causes a delay in the blood reaching the brain when the person stands up from a lying down position due to a drop in blood pressure and hence, causes dizziness or a feeling of blacking out.
The other thing that comes to mind when there is a lack of other symptoms is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, which is a condition of the inner ear canals. The canals are filled with fluid and are responsible for maintaining balance by shifting of this fluid. These canals develop small microscopic calcium stones in BPPV which shift and affect the fluid balance in the inner ear, this can cause positional vertigo like the one you are experiencing.
The treatment for postural hypotension is by medication as well as by alleviating the under lying cause and the treatment for BPPV is by a maneuver known as the Epley's maneuver which can be done in the physician's office and relieves the BPPV very effectively.
I suggest that you get an appointment with your PCP at the earliest to have these issues addressed and for a comprehensive workup.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

If you need more information then please reply back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX section sounds about right but I have never had any problems with my ears. Currently I am lieing down but i need to get up for work but I cannot keep my two feet on the ground and am afraid of blacking out. I am at home on my own. Is there anything that you can suggest I can do to allieviate this for now?

Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks for the reply.

The best thing to do will be to call someone over for assistance.
Lie down for 5 minutes with your legs elevated above the level of your heart. You can do that by placieng two pillows under the feet.
Then after 5 minutes, you should sit up and keep sitting for 5 minutes and during that time you should move your calf muscles by pushing on the ground with your feet.
Then you should get up slowly and not walk unless you feel confident that you have maintained your balance.
You should drink some oral rehydrating solutions like Gatorade or Pedialyte today.

Hope this helps.