911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

I have a lot of soreness in my lower right abdomen. I think

Customer Question

I have a lot of soreness in my lower right abdomen. I think it may be a swollen kidney and I'm concerned that I have kidney stones. I've had them before but it was a long time ago so I don't remember what they felt like. I also just flew back to California from SE Asia, and I've read that kidney soreness is sometimes a symptom of Jet Lag. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 9 months ago.

911DOC :

If you do not have fever or nausea of difficulty with urination you may simply try some Tylenol and rest

911DOC :

however,

911DOC :

pain in the abdomen,

911DOC :

especially in women

911DOC :

is difficult to diagnose

911DOC :

and sometimes from a dangerous cause

911DOC :

this does not sound like a kidney stone... those are acutely painful and often debilitating until they pass

911DOC :

the appendix is in the lower right abdomen

911DOC :

as is your right ovary

911DOC :

and it is possible this could be early appendicitis, but doubtful

911DOC :

if it is you will continue to get more pain throughout the day

911DOC :

and if you do

911DOC :

you should be seen immediately

911DOC :

could be an ovarian problem like a cyst

911DOC :

these are not emergencies and will do well with rest and mild OTC pain relievers like motrin

911DOC :

if, however,

911DOC :

there is any chance you are pregnant

911DOC :

ectopic pregnancy is also on the list

911DOC :

worsening pain, particularly if accompanied by vaginal bleeding should prompt an immediate ER visit

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

thanks this is helpful

Customer:

there's no way I'm pregnant

911DOC :

good

Customer:

I've had the same dull pain for about 5 days now

911DOC :

okay

Customer:

it's getting slightly more persistent and seems to get worse when I'm lying down

911DOC :

i see

Customer:

I'm stuck on the kidney thing because I had surgery on my kidney about 10 years ago

911DOC :

do you have an appointment with your doctor lined up?

Customer:

no

911DOC :

what kind of surgery on the kidney?

Customer:

I had a stint put in to correct a stenosed ureter (sp)?

911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

yeah, that's not going to be the cause of this issue

911DOC :

but it is getting to the point that you will probably need an imaging study of some sort....

Customer:

doctors found it by accident - my kidney was hugely swollen and I had tons of kidney stones

911DOC :

a CT or ultrasound

Customer:

ok

911DOC :

the danger signs that should prompt immediate evaluation are rapidly increasing pain, a fever, nausea and vomiting, or vaginal bleeding off cycle.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

should I just wait it out for a few more days to see if it feels better?

911DOC :

remember, the kidneys are posterior (mid upper back)

Customer:

right

911DOC :

Can't tell you what you should do... Would be able to do that if I could get a good exam on you

911DOC :

how hard is it for you to see your doctor?

Customer:

it just feels like there's a swollen organ...

Customer:

on the lower right above my hip

911DOC :

i would have a very low thresshold for getting someone to check you out today

Customer:

I'll make an appointment with my doctor... just wondering if I should go to a specialist

911DOC :

you hurt right where the appendix is

911DOC :

no, not a specialist

Customer:

ok

911DOC :

your doc could do that after an exam, right now we wouldn't know which specialist to go to

911DOC :

have to get an idea of the diagnosis first

911DOC :

if you get worse today the ER is your best bet as it has the capability to do every test you might need

911DOC :

if you are stable seeing your doctor is a reasonable option

Customer:

ok i'll make an appointment with my general doctor today

Customer:

thanks for your help

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

make sure when you make the appointment that you tell the clerk to let him/her know that you are having 'right lower quadrant pain'

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician