Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

the patent has been on 20 to 30 mgs of Valium for seven years.

the patent has been on 20 to 30 mgs of Valium for seven years. would you consider him to be drug dependent at this time? would you consider him to be ok to drive with a 7 year old in a car ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.
HI
thank you for requesting me
20-30mg of daily valium is a lot. And if he were to stop taking it all of a sudden, he would withdraw. Therefore, by strict medical definition- he is dependent on the drug, physically and mentally.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX it depends on the state. Some have a zero tolerance- so it would be a moot point. He cannot drive, period.
Now in other states, he can with a prescription. The question remains, should he?
Now for DOT and safety sensitive jobs, you can operate a train and, if you have a drug test and it is positive for valium, you would not be fired on that basis alone. But they would probably pull you off of your job if they found out you were taking daily valium at 20-30mg a day- because that would look *really* bad if a train derailed and that was the finding in the toxicology labs.
So, should he drive a 7 year old? Personally, not mine. there are some people who are on medication and can operate a car very safely. And in some states, that is considered to be legal. But if I was in one of those states, I would insist on an independent physician to examine him- preferablly a neuropsychiatrist (double boarded in neurology and psychiatry). If they gave him the green light (i.e. staked their medical license on his safety), then I would be okay.

I hope that this helped.
please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. your response did help ! thank u so much. just to make sure, you said ny is a zero tolerance state, is that correct ?

if i write a letter to my attorney , would you be able to review it so that i don't misrepresent any thing that you said.

would it be possible to pay you to be professional witness in family court,Nassau county, new york?

so far you have made my day !!!!!!

I said KY was a zero tolerance state.

IN regards XXXXX XXXXX:
Under New York law, it is illegal to drive under the influence of any drugs. There is no distinction between legal and illegal substances as long as it impairs your ability to operate a motor vehicle. The definition for what constitutes being impaired by drugs is the following: A medication should be capable of affecting the nervous system, brain, or muscles of an individual as to impair, to an appreciable degree, his or her ability to drive a vehicle within the manner that any ordinarily prudent and cautious individual, in full possession of his faculties, utilizing reasonable care, would drive a similar vehicle beneath like conditions.

Some prescription drugs are known to affect your ability to drive, and usually the drug has a warning on the label (that may be in small print) that informs you that operating a vehicle should be avoided while under the influence of said drug. Sedatives and antihistamines are usually the most harmful drugs that should be avoided while driving. Criminal and administrative penalties for driving while ability impaired by a drug are the same as the penalties for driving while intoxicated.

http://dui.legalhelp.org/new-york/prescription-drugs-and-dui-dwi-in-new-york/

This is called DWAI-D

I cannot be a professional witness- I am in california.
But it sounds like you need to talk a DUI attoney on this site- I would suggest you repost it there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE CONTACTED YOU !

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

JOEL

good luck joel and I hope it works out for you :-)
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing