Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

IF ONE VALIUM OF 10 MGS WOULD BE EQUIVALENT TO DRIVING WITH

IF ONE VALIUM OF 10 MGS WOULD BE EQUIVALENT TO DRIVING WITH A BLOOD ALCOHOL LEVEL OF 0.10 AND THE LEGAL LIMIT IN ALL 50 STATES 0.08, IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE WITH 20 OR 30 MGS OF THE MEDICATION TAKEN ON A DAILY BASIS.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

it is not correct to equate valium to alcohol.

if a patient has anxiety, then the valium is used to treat anxiety and is not use to intoxicate the patient.

so it could very could be safe for a patient to drive after using valium to treat excessive anxiety to bring down anxiety levels to a point where the patient can better function. this is not the same as alcohol intoxication.

but the patient's doctor would have to make that assessment if the patient can drive or not. we can not do this online without knowing the patient and without seeing and evaluating the patient.

does this help?

do you have other questions?
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.
HiThis is completely incorrect. I am a medical review officer trained in the interpretation of drug tests.It depends on the state.Some states, have a ZERO tolerance policy- meaning that if you drive and are caught and have a benzo in your system- you are a DUI- it doesn't matter if you have a prescription- such as Kansas.Some states require you to have a prescription and the amount doesn't matter (amount in your urine or blood)- like Maryland.There is NO equivalent of 10mg of valium to 1 or 2 drinks. It depends on the person.I hope that this helped.Please leave positive feedback if it did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANK YOU BUT IT DOES NOT HELP.THE LAW IN NEW YORK STATES THAT NO PERSON SHALL OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE WHILE THE PERSONS ABILITY TO OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE IS IMPAIRED BY THE USE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL-THE MAKES NO DISTINCTION BETWEEN LICIT AND ILLICIT DRUGS. JUST AS ALCOHOL IS LEGAL UNLESS YOUR UNDER 21 OR YOUR DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE.DRIVING ON MEDICATION YOU ARE TAKING LEGALLY CAN STILL BE ILLEGAL DRIVING.IN OTHER WORD A DOCTORS PRESCRIPTION DOESN'T GIVE A PATENT AN UNLIMITED FREE PASS TO DRIVE.IF THE MEDICINE CAN CLOUD YOUR JUDGEMENT OR MAKE YOU TOO SLEEPY TO DRIVE THEN YOUR EXPECTED TO DRIVE.THE DRUGS ARE NOT ILLEGAL BUT THE DRIVING CAN BE.

I am not sure if you saw my answer:
>
HiThis is completely incorrect. I am a medical review officer trained in the interpretation of drug tests.It depends on the state.

Some states, have a ZERO tolerance policy- meaning that if you drive and are caught and have a benzo in your system- you are a DUI- it doesn't matter if you have a prescription- such as Kansas.Some states require you to have a prescription and the amount doesn't matter (amount in your urine or blood)- like Maryland.There is NO equivalent of 10mg of valium to 1 or 2 drinks. It depends on the person.I hope that this helped.Please leave positive feedback if it did

So like NY, some states have a ZERO tolerance policy. Prescription or NOT. They do not distinguish between codeine, norco or heroin. Drugs are drugs.

I hope that this helped;
Please leave positive feedback if it did
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

THIS NOTE IS TO THANK YOU. YOUR RESPONSE WAS EXCELLENT AND ON THE MONEY.

THE FAMILY COURT JUDGE RENDERED HER DECISION AND STATED THAT THE INDIVIDUAL IS NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE WITH HIS SON IN THE CAR BECAUSE OF THE USE OF DRUGS.

SHE WRITES THE FATHERS APPLICATION TO DRIVE HIS SON IS DENIED AT THIS TIME.FOR THE BENEFIT OF BOTH THE FATHER AND SON, THEY WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL BY TAXI OR WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF OTHERS TO DRIVE THEM FROM PLACE TO PLACE.FURTHER, THE COURT IS CONCERNED BY THE DIVERSITY AND COMPLEXITY OF THE VARIED MEDICATIONS WHICH THE INDIVIDUAL TAKES ON A REGULAR BASIS.

AT THIS TIME A REPORT IS BEING SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES AS WELL.

I AM STILL SO SURPRISED THAT HIS PSYCHIATRIST TESTIFIED THAT IT WAS HIS OPINION THAT IT WOULD BE OK TO DRIVE. I GUESS

THAT HE DOES NOT KNOW OR RESPECT THE LAW.

BEST REGARDS

JS

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the follow up!
I am glad that it worked out for you and the child. Safety first!
Dr. Natasha, Doctor