Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

I took one norco 5-325 and one glass of wine at 7 pm for a

I took one norco 5-325 and one glass of wine at 7 pm for a bad headache. When the headache didn't go away I took another norco at 8 pm. And a second glass of wine around 8:30. Then, at 12 am the headache returned. I took another norco 5-325. The headache is gone but I'm worried this is dangerous. I had fallen asleep and forgot I took the second norco. I've never done this before, that is why I'm worried.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 9 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm Dr.Robert & I will do my best to help answer your questions.

Norco medication contains acetaminophen and hydrocodone.

The usual dose for Norco 5/325 is one to two tablets.Generally, the dosages are taken every four to six hours as needed.The dosages you have taken too frequently is considered as over dosage.

Hydrocodone is a strong narcotic pain reliever.

Alcohol and hydrocodone are both central nervous system depressants (CNS depressants). This means they both can slow the functioning of the brain.Also drinking alcohol while taking hydrocodone may increase your risk of certain hydrocodone side effects.

You need to watch on the following symptoms:

-Difficult breathing
-Tight chest,
-Swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue, throat,
-Slow heartbeat
-Unusual thoughts or behaviour or confusion
-Seizures
-Upper abdomen pain

If any of these symptoms develop or any other symptom that cause great discomfort,then you need to go to ER for emergency help & treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 9 months ago.
Hi
I am an ER doctor
Do you normally get headaches like this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I don't normally get headaches like this.
Hi

The above doctor is correct in regards XXXXX XXXXX interaction with norco and alcohol. They are central nervous system depressants. However, 3 norcos and 2 glasses of alcohol is not going to do any harm- unless you decide that you want to go out driving.
You will feel sleepy and go to bed
The question which I am concern about is- why are you having these bad headaches? Is this the first time for you? Did they start all of a sudden?
If you are having any of the following:
1. the worst headache of your life
2. abrupt onset (within second or minutes) of symptoms
3. neck pain and/or eye pain
4. vomiting
5. Fever

Then you need to go to the ER for investigation right away
The most important thing is whether or not you having a head bleed, aneurysm or meningitis (infection). Seeing that you don't normally get headaches like this, think about why you needed to take 3 norcos and 2 glasses of wine- that is a lot. To be honest, I would get checked out asap...

If these are typical of your usual headaches (but worse), then you may want to talk to your doctor about another medication other than norco for pain relief- like imitrex, etc...

I hope that this helped.

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing