Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

I am currently on testostorone replacement and have been for

Customer Question

I am currently on testostorone replacement and have been for a little over a year. In July I received a blood test and eveything was normal and I had a test level of around 900 and a IGF-1 level of 195. I just recently received another blood test and everything looked good but my test levels were up to 1166 and my IGF-1 level was at 234 which the doctor told me was high for my age of 50. They would like me off of the test for a while and want me to see a Endocrinologist but after seeing my primary care doctor this morning he wants me to be off of the test for about 10 days and retake the blood test. I am freaking out a little bit because the doctor at the anti aging clinic told me levels of 234 could mean I have some type of tumor. I do not have insurance so I want to be very safe but practical about where I take this. Could you please give me some advice on what step you would take if you were me. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

welcome to the chat

Customer:

thank you for your help

Dr. Cameron :

let me think about your question.

Dr. Cameron :

hold on

Dr. Cameron :

your IGF level is supposed to be 220-

Customer:

I thing I think you may want to know also is that I have high blood pressure and am currently on a few medications for this problem also

Dr. Cameron :

I am calculating this out

Dr. Cameron :

ok =0 anything else

Customer:

been overweight and have lost about 20 lbs in the last 6 weeks. was at 239 at 220 now.

Dr. Cameron :

Did you get the IGFBP-3 level?

Customer:

let me look

Dr. Cameron :

or any GH suppression test?

Customer:

what is that. is that blood work

Dr. Cameron :

yes

Customer:

no i do not have either one of those. They do not do that at that clinic

Dr. Cameron :

ok

Dr. Cameron :

well, the concern about elevated igf-1 is a pituitary tumor which is secreting growth hormone.

Patients may also experience the complications of cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus, as well as various other signs and symptoms

Customer:

is 234 really high for my age and how do they test for the tumor

Customer:

I have no real signs or symptoms

Dr. Cameron :

Well they would do a MRI of the brain

Dr. Cameron :

It is a calculated number- AGE- 20= N

Dr. Cameron :

yours is 30.

Dr. Cameron :

then 250- 3N= the magic number

Dr. Cameron :

Yours is really not much elevated

Dr. Cameron :

Honestly, the safest and most practical way to look at this is to get it rechecked in a month

Dr. Cameron :

If this is elevated then they can do a more definitive test for acromegaly which is the oral glucose tolerance test. THe OGTT

Dr. Cameron :

And if this is elevated, then they do the MRI of the brain

Dr. Cameron :

because testosterone can increase the igf-1

Dr. Cameron :

SO your endocrinologist is doing the right thing

Dr. Cameron :

You should be off at least 10 days

Dr. Cameron :

but 95% of pituitary tumors are benign and easily treated

Dr. Cameron :

so I would NOT freak out about it

Customer:

how are they treated.

Dr. Cameron :

Treatment for a pituitary tumor depends on the type of tumor, its size and how far it has grown into your brain.

Dr. Cameron :

It can be surgery or medication to shrink the tumor

Dr. Cameron :

or watchful waiting

Customer:

OMG i am sorry but I have also been taking HCG with the test at the advice of the doctor. Could this have anything to do with it.

Dr. Cameron :

honestly the jury is out on that one=

Dr. Cameron :

some endocrine reports say yes, some say no

Dr. Cameron :

but in your case, probably stopping that as well, the test and getting retested would be the best idea

Dr. Cameron :

you have too many confounding factors

Dr. Cameron :

did you see that?

Customer:

see what

Dr. Cameron :

honestly the jury is out on that one=

12:59 PM

1:00 PM

1:00 PM

you have too many confounding factors

Customer:

yes i thought it would be confusing. Just when you hear tumor if is a little scary. You do not feel that the levels are to out of line though? correct? also, what levels would be considered very high for my age? Thank you for your time and help. God bless.

Dr. Cameron :

No, I don't they are not that high and they could be explained by the hormones supplementation you are taking

Customer:

what levels would be real high for my age. last question

Dr. Cameron :

Like 250+

Dr. Cameron :

hello?

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Cameron :

great!

Customer:

I did not get your last answer sorry

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service? :-)?

Dr. Cameron :

Like 250+

1:08 PM

hello?

1:13 PM

are you still there?

Dr. Cameron :

did you see that?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Cameron :

you saw 250+?

Customer:

you provided me with great answers. thank you

Dr. Cameron :

thanks!.

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing