911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

i have been suffering from anxiety for 8 months now...It seems

i have been suffering from anxiety for 8 months now...It seems that some supplements for the anxiety makes my stomach worst at times...I do not want to take any prescribed medication as I believe that i can naturally help this go away...I did do some ecstasy back then and drinking so I guess this caused all this..I stopped all... been clean 9 months now never doing again..I just took a natural supplement Stress-J formula with chamomile ..hops..etc and now I am getting early morning diarrhea :(...I do not know what else to take....The worst is my sleep and daily head pressure/ tensions... seems cell phones..computers trigger my head tensions. Been to the Dr all hormone test thyroid all normal.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 9 months ago.

911DOC :

Little is known scientifically about herbal supplements. They undergo no FDA scrutiny and are not tested in any scientific manner. Not to say there may not be some benefit, but there is no evidence other than testimonial evidence.

911DOC :

It is perfectly possible that the formula you are taking is causing some diarrhea and stomach upset.

911DOC :

Perhaps staying off the supplement for a day or two would tell you.

911DOC :

as to your anxiety problems and since you are averse to prescription medicine (good for you)

911DOC :

I think you would be best served by finding a mental health professional who can work with you to overcome your anxiety, because you can overcome it

911DOC :

A powerful new tool they have is something called 'cognitive behavioral therapy'

911DOC :

click the link to learn about it.

911DOC :

this is a drug free therapy with good success rates.

911DOC :

The ultimate solution will not come from a pill... be it herbal or prescription

911DOC :

the ultimate solution will come from you confronting the issues causing the anxiety.

Customer:

Yes been hard :( I try but these symptoms are hard to ignore at times....i have stopped the supplement over 1 week but still having the morning issues

911DOC :

have they tried you on a mild diarrhea medicine?

Customer:

no :( I took GI wellness supplement this morning....has helped in the pass

911DOC :

one thing that is likely happening is that your doctor is probably not well versed in the fine points of anxiety and the other symptoms you are experiencing

911DOC :

it might be a great time to get a professional who specializes in this to sit down with you and talk about options

Customer:

I had a psychologist but stopped since I have progressed..its like a ladder up and down

911DOC :

do you think you stopped too soon? sounds like you were making progress?

Customer:

Maybe..the fear has left..is just the low energy days and head pressures that are a bug now

911DOC :

hmmm... so hard to guess what this may be... certainly anxiety can cause diarrhea by itself... and headaches AND jitteriness that you describe

911DOC :

I think it may be a very good idea to get back with your psychologist... they are not MDs, but they are trained to recognize things outside of psychiatric illnesses which might be contributing to your symptoms

Customer:

Can drugs withdrawal cause this after almost 1 year?

911DOC :

no

911DOC :

not withdrawal

911DOC :

though ecstacy can have long term consequences as there is no way to know what is actually in the drug

Customer:

Could it be the drug that just caused this ?

911DOC :

this might be an avenue for a psychiatrist or a neurologist to explore with you

911DOC :

see above

911DOC :

doubtful, but you have no idea is what you took was ecstacy (MDMA) or something mixed with ecstasy

Customer:

Meth I believe

911DOC :

possibly

Customer:

I had a ct scan all was normal

Customer:

I guess I am in that boat :(

911DOC :

A CT is good for finding tumors and strokes, it tells us nothing about the health of the brain on a microscopic level

911DOC :

perhaps

Customer:

What test i would need?

911DOC :

that's why you may need to get a little more specific... a psychiatrist or even neurologist to get to the bottom of this

Customer:

I will go to a neurologist :)

911DOC :

probably something called 'neurocognitive testing'... it's not a medical test... its a test designed to evaluate your thinking and brain function. it's an actual sit-down test that you take... you answer questions and do some physical stuff too... it's very revealing

911DOC :

okay, that sounds like a good idea

911DOC :

I'm glad you are pursuing this

911DOC :

nothing like feeling helpless to get you down

911DOC :

but you are taking positive steps

911DOC :

and you want to get well

911DOC :

and that's half the battle

Customer:

I have too...I even left nursing school cause of this :((

911DOC :

I'm so sorry to hear that

911DOC :

hopefully when you get this under control you can go back

Customer:

Yes!! Thanks for your help

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

anything else before we close?

Customer:

I guess thats it for now :)

911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

be well

911DOC :

and good luck

Customer:

Thanks!!

911DOC :

if this has been helpful positive feedback is always appreciated

911DOC :

you are welcome

911DOC :

good day

911DOC :

:)

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician