Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

My uvula is constantly touching the back of my tongue wanting

Customer Question

My uvula is constantly touching the back of my tongue wanting me to constantly swallow and try and clear. Its 1:50 am and I am awake and anxious. Should I be worried?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 6 months ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Cameron :

any difficulty breathing?

Dr. Cameron :

Do you snore ?

Dr. Cameron :

how long has this been going on?

Customer:

I do snore

Dr. Cameron :

did you go to sleep after drinking recently?

Customer:

Right now the breathing is OK though I am experiencing some anxiety

Customer:

no I do not drink as I know that exacerbates snoring

Customer:

I have had a home sleep study and have very mild apnea and snoring. The galileo ct scan shows 3mm pharynx and down to 88% O2. Just yesterday it seems like my uvula is constantly touching the back of my tongue making me want to swallow constantly. Feels like there is always something happening in the back of my oral cavity an I need to constantly want to clear it.

Dr. Cameron :

ok

Dr. Cameron :

well, I know that it is driving you crazy

Dr. Cameron :

but this is not life threateningh

Dr. Cameron :

sometimes the uvela can become irritated or swollen

Dr. Cameron :

as long as the rest of your mouth is not swelling up or you have a rash, it is not a reason to be concerned

Dr. Cameron :

this can be related to the snoring itself or a viral infection or both

Dr. Cameron :

You can take over the counter benadryl for the symptoms

Customer:

Could it be an allergic reaction to something as well?

Dr. Cameron :

Not just uvela swelling

Dr. Cameron :

more of the mouth would be swollen

Dr. Cameron :

your tongue, your lips, etc

Dr. Cameron :

or you'd have difficulty breathingh

Dr. Cameron :

if your uvela is too long, you may want to see a head and neck doc to remove it- uveloplasty

Dr. Cameron :

but try the benadryl now so you can get some rest and make the phone calls in the am :-)

Customer:

I will call tomorrow and see. Can they shorten it or they just remove it?

Dr. Cameron :

they usually just take it out

Customer:

I took a couple of advil 800mg hoping to help inflamation

Dr. Cameron :

that can help, but benadryl is better

Customer:

can I take that now after advil?

Dr. Cameron :

sure

Customer:

Is there anything else I can do to get me through the night?

Dr. Cameron :

benadryl and a cool mist humidifer can be hepeful

Dr. Cameron :

helpful

Dr. Cameron :

but that is pretty much it

Dr. Cameron :

and lie on your side so it doesn't hang down

Customer:

It is also constantly touching even when standing and walking around as well. I will try the side and see. Many thanks

Dr. Cameron :

you are welcome

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service ? :-)?

Customer:

One last question, is there a spray to directly apply?

Dr. Cameron :

if you want to numb up your throat cloraseptic

Dr. Cameron :

but the patients i see do well with the benadyrl

Customer:

And yes. Your service was excellent.

Customer:

Does the benadryl work quickly?

Dr. Cameron :

yes within about 30 minutes

Dr. Cameron :

and it will make you sleepy :-)

Customer:

Thank you very much. I'm off to CVS for the benadryl. Are there any particular benadryls or there is just one?

Dr. Cameron :

all benadryl is the same- the generic is diphenhydramine :-)< - cheaper

Customer:

Thank you once again. Have a great night or morning.

Dr. Cameron :

you are welcome

Dr. Cameron :

I will check with you later :-)

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr Cameron

Uvula is still inflamed but better than before. I've been hydrating lots. I'm taking a natural product called DHist, Drinking and gargling with sage tea(luke warm) and ice cold water wit 1/4 tsp of turmeric and have also tried some colloidal silver throat spray. All that helps but the overall inflammation is still hanging on (no pun intended).

I also have a little bit of a stuffy nose and itchy eyes(which may be an allergy but I have also been around my parents who were visiting and were under the weather) Throat is feeling a little scratchy and when I swallow I get a cartilage click or crack around the area under my adams apple. (This comes and goes)

I'm not sure how long this is supposed to last?

I did try benadryl on the 2nd and 3rd of october as suggested-helped sleep but definitely makes me feel drowsy during the day and not so clear in thought (not a feeling I enjoy of -course)

I went to the cvs minute clinic and the doctor there, I felt, didn't really bother listening well or caring-prescribed fluticasone nasal spray which I have not tried as I am not sure a steroid is what my throat needs, or my nose.

I am only a last resort allopathic medication or antibiotic user-I prefer to exhaust natural or mild medication first as I have not used traditional medication since I was a child.

My breathing is still OK no obstruction there, I am sleeping better as I have become more used to that feeling on the back of my tongue.

I value your advice and thank you for checking in again.

Gus

Will get back to you when I am at a computer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thank You

Just found out the santa anna winds are coming through san diego right now so that may be contributing to the allergy response.

As for the uvula .... first time for it and have no idea.

Will get to you
Hi Gus
I was checking in to see how you were doing :-)