Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

On Sept 18 I was driving to the store and I apparently was

On Sept 18 I was driving to the store and I apparently was all over the road almost hitting telephone pole and then almost hitting a car head-on, I then stopped for a red light and turned orner and about 1/2 mile down the road I side swiped a parked car which took me by complete surprise. I don't remember any of this except stopping for the red light I dont even remember turning the corner. All this was told to me by the witness that had been following me for a couple miles. I cant believe I do not remember driving like that, how could I have been "out of it" and still not crashed sooner. Thank God I did not hurt anyone or hit anyone walking, my god I cant even imagine what happened. I had an MRI couple days ago, all came back normal. Had an EEG dont know results yet and I am having a sleep study this week. Before I left my house I had been sick with severe head congestion and sore throat for 2 days. I had not eaten in about 20 hours and I really didn't drink alot of fluids in the last 10-12 hours so I was probably dehydrated. I took my normal morning meds which are Metoprolol, Bayer aspirin, clonidine and a Savella. I have been dx with Fibromyalgia for about 2 years. I did take 2 Dayquil that morning but seemed fine until that episode while driving. Do you have any ideas whast may have happened to me?
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question. The only explanation is a partial seizure

I think your EEG will be positive

Savella can increase risk of seizures especially when sleep deprived

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What exactly is a partial seizure and if EEG is positive will that mean I will have another one? I havent been driving until I get this settled but the real problem is that the police that came to my accident think I was on drugs cuz I was confused so of course I did a breathalizer it was BAC 0.0% and I had a blood draw to check for drugs, wont be back for about 6 weeks so the police say but I got a ticket for DWAI for driving while under influence of drugs but I wasnt. I do have bad insomnia and I take a prescribed 10mg of Ambien for insomnia but I have been taking all my medications for 2-3 years and this has never happened to me before. What causes partial seizure?

Partial seizures are like a loss of consciousness without a full seizure

Part of the brain misfired

It was induced by your meds and lack of sleep

You should not have gotten a ticket. It wasn't your fault. It was the meds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think my neurologist should come to the same conclusion, I know you cant answer for him but is this about the only logical medical explanation for this?

Yes I do. There is no other logical conclusion
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The last test I am scheduled for is a sleep study this week, do you think I still need it. I mean what could it show that would pertain to this incident?

Yes you should.

Sleep apnea could have contributed to the accident if you have it. That's what they are looking for
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)