Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I can not take penicillin. I have taken Z pac, Zinthromycon

I can not take penicillin. I have taken Z pac, Zinthromycon 500 mg for 3 days and bactrum for a ear sinus infection and it still has not gone away, I have a Dr's apt Wed, It is now going to my chest. Any suggestions on what I can take to finally get rid of this? Could I use some type of antibiotic ear drop along with a oral antibiotic?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you have been on quite a bit of antibiotics already.

you could have a viral inner ear infection which would not respond to antibiotics at all.

viral inner ear infections can also spread to the chest as well.

did your doctors look in your ear before? did they find any fluid behind your ear drum?

can you tell me more about your symptoms? are you having fever?

are you coughing up sputum? ear pain?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes she did look in my ear, I have a 7 oclock shadow? She said I have fluid in my ear, I have L sides sinus pain, Color in my nose is sinus infection, I am having whitish mucous with a tinge of yellow to it , my chest is getting tight and coughing, Asthma acting up, post nasal thick drip. I am also taking Remicade 700mg iv every 6 weeks , so my immune system is not the best, XXXXX XXXXX had a dose in about 10 weeks.

a viral infection can still be causing your inner ear fluid, sinus infection, and even bronchitis in your lungs.

remicade is an immune modulator which can decrease your immune system as you know.

if this is a viral infection, futher antibiotics orally or ear drops wont help

it could be a bacterial infection which is resistant to your antibiotics so far, but this is much less likely.

you can get your mucous cultured to check for bacteria, but whitish mucous most likely is from a viral infection.

if the fluid persists in your innear ear, you might need a myringotomy to help drain out the fluid in the inner ear if your body does not absorb the fluid.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This has happened before and I have ended up very sick with pneumonia, so you do not have any suggestions for antibiotics or ear drops? I am not the type that you just do not treat, I will end up in the hospital very sick. As my Dr has told me this could kill you.

antibiotic ear drops would be best with ciprootic which is ciprofloxicin otic ear drops

and if you are using this for ear drops, you can go on ciprofloxicin 500mg oral antibiotics twice a day for 7-10 days.

have you used cipro antibiotics before?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No I have not, there is no pcn in them? Do you think I should consult a ENT, I also use a cpap at hs.

no penicillin in ciprofloxicin.

you should consult an ENT doctor to monitor that fluid in the inner ear

you can continue to use CPAP.

also make sure you clean and boil the air tubes and mask from your CPAP machine to make sure there is not a hidden viral infection in the equipement which could be making you sick.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I clean it as recommended with vinegar and h2o, I will see a ENT, this has been a chronic problem. Cipro will not have a side effect of muscle and ligament spasms will it? Thank you for the consult, I will go over this with my primary and make a apt with an ENT

there are small risks for cipro causing tendon rupture. this is very very rare.

all of the fluoroquinolone antibiotics could do this.

you can talk to your doctor about a cephalosporin like Ceftin or cefuroxime which can treat sinus infections and bacterial lung infections as well.

you are welcome

best of luck to you.

I hope you feel better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.