Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

This question may not be in your area but I need to know if

This question may not be in your area but I need to know if a can of pineapple swells and bursts does the liquid contain botulism and will it contaminate other foodstuffs around it such as canned goods etc
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

if the other cans around the area are intact and not burst, then there is no risks for contamination into the foods inside of other cans.

but you really should take all the paper off of the cans and wash the cans with soap and water to make sure any liquid from the burst can is washed off before you open or store any of the other cans which the liquid from the burst can might have touched

you might have to take labels off and use a black marker to mark on those cans what are in them and the expiration date of what is inside of those cans.

the liquid from the can that burst could contain afood bacteria or botulism toxin possibly.

but if the other cans are intact, the can itself will prevent the bacteria from getting into the other cans.

does this make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it makes sense however I was concerned particles of the liquid might get in cracks or, as you said, the paper etc. At any rate you have answered my question and I thank you. I have thrown away all food stuffs around the area, cleaned the area itself with bleach water and the counter below for spills.

that is good.

if any question, best to throw it out.

good luck to you

bleach is a great idea for cleaning

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using