Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am having pain in my upper right abdomen. It is sore to

I am having pain in my upper right abdomen. It is sore to the touch, hurts when I lay on that side or on my back. Physical activity also hurts it. How can I tell if it is muscle strain or something more serious? I
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

the best way to tell is to see a doctor and get a physical exam and ultrasound of the right upper quadrant abdomen.

often times inflammation of the gall bladder called cholecystitis can cause pain in the upper right abdomen. this is very common in your age group.

the gall bladder is tucked into the liver on the right upper part of the abdomen.

do you have a doctor you can see who can order an ultrasound of your abdomen and check on your gall bladder?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I guess I was trying to avoid extra expense. I could go to the doctor if I need to go. I don't have other symptoms, like nausea, fever, etc. I do, however, take Victoza, so I was concerned it could be pancreatitis.

I see

you take victoza for diabetes, which can cause pancreatitis in rare cases.

the only way to know if you have pancreatitis is to see your doctor and get blood testing to check for elevated pancreatic enzymes like lipase and amylase.

are you willing to do this ? your doctor can also order an ultrasound at the same time to check on your gall bladder.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.