Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Have had post nasal drip for many years now really not treating

Have had post nasal drip for many years now really not treating it at all. Occasionally using Sudafed and nasal spray. Have always had allergies on and off and just recently I moved to a new area and in the last 3-4 weeks the post nasal drip got real bad and it felt like I had a swollen throat almost or lump in the throat. I went in to see the doc and initially he told me that my right tonsil was swollen and throat inflamed and that I had an allergy and he gave me some stuff for allergies. I took that for two weeks and it helped the post nasal drip somewhat but it is still there. So, I went back after a couple weeks and he gave me Flonase and Sudafed which I have taken for a week as well as the musinex and ibupropen. The post nasal drip is definitely better but I still feel like the mucous is accumulating in my throat. Not hard to swallow or anything like that. Occasionally at the end of the day, my throat feels somewhat irritated. But really no pain. Just feels like a lump. More irritating than anything else.
Thank you for your question:

Are you still taking the Zyrtec, Flonase and Mucinex?

Do you have pain in the face?

Any fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, taking all three. No pain in the face. I have had sinus pressure in my forehead and cheeks previously. Not really any congestion in my nose per se. No fever.

Thank you

Since you are still having this problem, you may want to ask your doctor if they think a trial of an antibiotic may be helpful. You could have a low-grade chronic sinus infection.

Your doctor may also want to refer you to a ENT specialist. Sometimes chronic post-nasal drip is associated with nasal polyps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was put on arithromyozin for 5 days...no real change.

For sinusitis, longer course of antibiotics are usually used.

At this point, an evaluation by a specialist may be the best approach.