DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am a healthy 28 year old male. Slender, muscular and weigh

I am a healthy 28 year old male. Slender, muscular and weigh about 150lbs and stand 6'. Regular diet of eggs, bacon, cheese, meats, breads, pasta and alcohol. Usually mixed drinks with vodka. I have been active and healthy all my life and never had issues with intestinal problems. Last Thursday-friday I stayed home from work because of diarrhea. No mucus or undigested food. Just horrible smelling gas and stomach pains. It's day 4 now and still the same. I have been taking Imodium to counter the diarrhea and works just fine but my stomach pains and gas won't go away. Been eating chicken soup and crackers ever since thursday. Can anyone help?
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Imodium is usually not indicated in this situation as it prolongs the infection by preventing excretion of toxins in stools and further aggravates cramping.
I will suggest you to discontinue Imodium ,avoid any aggravating food like alcohol.Use ORS (Oral rehydrating salt).
If you do not have fever than no need for antibiotics it will go away.
Just maintain good hydration.Use yougrut,and good bed rest will help you out.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX you good health.
Please leave positive feedback for me.
Thanks.
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS(R)

Hello from JA

I have a much different opinion.

As a rule of thumb, without any improvement at all in 4 days you should have an exam and a stool sample analyzed.

Most often this is viral, and most bacteria will go away, but not all.

At this point both for your health and public health concerns, a stool sample should be done.

Any ER or urgent care, or your doctor can order this.

You have also not states your exact drinking history, daily amount, how long, as if it is more than a drink a day and it is every day, depending on the time period, this can also cause diarrhea.

Let me know if you have further details or questions.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.

Please to not forget a positive rating when done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was drinking about 2-3 drinks a day for about 1 month before getting sick. I have stopped drinking since getting sick. Through out the last 5-7 years on average have only drank socially on the weekends so drinking has never been a cause for alarm. Also, it seems my symptoms of diarrhea have been intermittent with the use of Imodium.
OK
so what I would do is as follows
If this is not distinctly better by the end of day 4, have stool samples taken.

I an not tell about the drinking accurately, but this is most likely viral/bacterial.

If you have to have the test, have stool cultures, c-difficile toxin, and blood work called comprehensive metabolic panel, which checks liver and kidney function , electrolytes.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.