Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

I went to a walk in clinic yesterday noon after being stung

Customer Question

I went to a walk in clinic yesterday noon after being stung by a small wasp on my wrist the night before. I had red, hot swelling of the arm up to the elbow and the doctor gave me a shot of prednisone. Also prescribed 20 mg prednisone tablets for the next 3 days. I am supposed to take one at noon today, but my arm is pretty much back to normal and I really don't want to take the prednisone tablets because I know about the side effects. I also don't want to be a noncompliant patient, so I would appreciate your advice.
Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Cameron :

please type and hit reply

Dr. Cameron :

If your arm is pretty much normal, you don't need to continue the prednisone if you don't like the side effects

Dr. Cameron :

it tends to help for rebound swelling, but a wasp sting generally does not have this issue

Dr. Cameron :

If this was related to food or medication, sticking with the prednisone would be best

Customer:

I did not mention that the arm that was stung is the left arm where I had a mastectomy and lymphnodes removed in 1999...would this make any difference?

Dr. Cameron :

no, not really. the issue is- are you still having a reaction to the toxin and it sounds like it has largely resolved.

Dr. Cameron :

things which cause ongoing reactions are ones that you ingest- like food or medicine- because it takes longer to metabolize

Dr. Cameron :

but if you can tolerate the prednisone for at least another day, I would do that..

Customer:

What about cutting the tablet in half and taking only 10 mg?

Dr. Cameron :

sure you can totally do that

Dr. Cameron :

that is a nice taper :-)

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing