Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

Chest wall and upper back pain. Muscular or something more

Chest wall and upper back pain. Muscular or something more sinister?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the question and coming here. Any known medical illness such as diabetes or high blood pressure? How long you have this chest pain? Any symptoms like shortness of breath, heaviness in chest, radiation of pain to the arms or neck, any sweating or dizziness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the last couple of weeks. It seems to hurt more in certain positions, such as twisting, hunching shoulders, or contracting the chest muscles.

No radiation. Neck and upper back are also sore, but in like a tense muscles kind of way. Is it possible that I may be unknowingly tensing the muscles in my upper body without realizing it? I've been incredibly anxious lately. I have pretty severe health anxiety in general.

No other diagnosed issues. I don't think I am short of breath - I can still go for runs without issue. Would I be able to do so if I were short of breath? No real heaviness either.

I do have reflux, previously diagnosed through a swallow story. I have noticed that I've been burping quite a bit, and have a scratchy throat, which I know could be signs of it flaring up.

Lastly, I've been poking around the chest muscles a lot, so I don't know if that has possibly contributed to anything?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the details. I would like to say that this seems to be most likely muscular pain which can give spasms. Anxiety & acid-reflux can also give such spasms. Acid-reflux can give inflammation of food pipe which can then give chest pain, burping and funny sensations in throat. I will suggest to see your physician for examination and some base line tests including serum electrolytes. In case of acid-reflex it is important to take antacids such as Syp. Gaviscon available OTC to start with and also important to avoid spicy or junk food, avoid alcohol. Also heart ECG to be on the safer side which is not likely.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a stress test do e at my physical two years ago and it was fine, though I realize it was two years ago.

It's like an achy pain, never sharp. Don't know if that matters or not.

Also, no excessive sweating, though my cheeks do get flushed and hot sometimes, which I know could be hormonal. No night sweats.

Could this be some type of cancer? My friend has lymphoma and she had chest pain, however hers was severe enough for her to go to the emergency room, and she said she couldn't so much as climb a flight of stairs without being totally out of breath.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 1 year ago.
I would say that it is not likely to be Lymphoma at all as these are not the symptoms. It seems to be most likely muscular pain. I will again advise to have the tests as I mentioned above along with chest x-ray. I am not concern for any thing serious in your case.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What makes it sound like muscular pain to you?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 1 year ago.
Pain is present for the last few weeks, sorness & tense worse with change of movements along with specific history.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, last question, what would the chest X-Ray be for?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 1 year ago.
Just to check any evidence of inflammation of cartilages (costochondritis) & any to see every thing ok with the chest wall.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience: Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS