Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD

If I have been on diazepam 10 mg 4 times daily for years, and

If I have been on diazepam 10 mg 4 times daily for years, and wean myself down daily to none in 2 weeks, then for how long will I still test positive for benzodiazapines?

Dr. Vikas :

Dr. Vikas :

Any medicine may persist in the body for 4-5 times its elimination half life after the last dose taken. The elimination half life of Diazepam is 20-50 hours.

So after the last dose I am looking at 250 hours after the last dose?

Dr. Vikas :

although a lot also depends on other factors like body weight, duration of use, physical condition but in most cases the drug is completely flushed out from the body within 10-14 days if we consider its elimination half life of 20-40 hours.

Dr. Vikas :

OK, thank you.

I have not finished yet. Please note that "Urine concentrations of metabolites are detectable for several days to weeks after last use. Urinary excretion of unchanged drug is less than 1%.

source - Drugs and Human Performance FACT SHEETS - Diazepam
Please also see this link below.

In chronic users, it may take few weeks (1-6 weeks or more)and till then the medicine can be detected in urine.

Please see the link below for more information.

The main reason behind this is because " The initial distribution phase is followed by a prolonged terminal elimination phase (half-life up to 48 hours). The terminal elimination half-life of the active metabolite N-desmethyldiazepam is up to 100 hours. Diazepam and its metabolites are excreted mainly in the urine, predominantly as their glucuronide conjugates."

source -

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any doubt or other question in your mind.

Kind regards