Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

My son burned his hand on some extremely hot water coming from

My son burned his hand on some extremely hot water coming from a rusty pipe yesterday while hooking up a washer, which has now caused some blistering. Tonight he has a red streak going from the hand wound up to his elbow. Is this something to worry about?

It would be prudent to seek the opinion of your doctor/PCP as damaged tissues are easy prey for bacterial infections.The red streak rising to the elbow would be suggestive of this.Your son will probably need antibiotics,analgesics and supportive therapy.His vaccination status against tetanus also needs to be updated if not already covered.The blisters may need sterile dressing and a antibiotic cream/ointment depending on the severity of the burns.The burns may take upto 3 weeks or more for recovery depending on the skin depth affected.