Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

I have had an ear infection which was treated with amoxicillin

I have had an ear infection which was treated with amoxicillin and a Medrol dose back. It got better but ear was still clogged occasionally. I had to fly overseas to Switzerland and back in a week. While I was over there the ear continued to be clogged but then I started to realize a fishy smell coming out of the ear. I can't get into see an MD until at least the end of this week. I have to go back to urgent care but any idea what you think it is so I have some idea what to say to them

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that your present symptoms are suggestive of persistent ear infection and I am concern for Otitis externa (external ear infection) or might be Otitis media (infection & inflammation of middle ear). It seems that there is a possibility that bugs are resistant to the current antibiotics and it is now important to prescribe antibiotics according to the culture & sensitivity results. Sometimes there can be secondarily fungal infection in response to bacterial infection while treating with antibiotics. I will highly advise to visit to ER asap due to risk of ear drum perforation or spread of infection. They need to do some tests such as culture & sensitivity, base line blood tests. There is a possibility that they also might refer you to ENT doctor for urgent assessment depending on the initial evaluation and tests results. Early evaluation in ER is highly suggested.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr Amir:

I did take your advice and went to the emergency ward. They have but me on ofloxacin optic drop because my ear is still very inflamed and infected with yellow pus. I am due to see an new doctor in 2 weeks- time.

Thank you so much for your prompt and thorough reply. It was extremely helpful and I have you the highest rating. I don't want to join yet because I tend to want to deal with one md which would be you and then get your advice and work from there

Thanks again
Kind regards
You welcome and I am glad that you took the advise and at the end attained good results at the right time. Thanks for your kind words and good gesture. I really appreciate that. Thanks for coming here and always here for your guidance and support. I wish you a very quick recovery.

Kind regards
Dr. Amir Javed.