Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

Im 27 a year old female, and I have phantom smells of smoke.

I'm 27 a year old female, and I have phantom smells of smoke. The inside of my nose is a little red and swollen if you look up far enough. I've also noticed a slight increase in the amount of flem I have. I've been spraying saline up my nose once a day, and it seemed to help a bit with the weird smells, then this morning I woke up with motion related dizziness When I look up. It seems to get better if I'm sitting upright. I'm not sure what's going on, but I think I might have an infection of some sort in my ears or sinus. Noting is painful though.

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to have few important details. How long you have these symptoms? Any known medical illness? Any fever or sore throat with it? History of any allergies? How's your hearing & any headache?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My throat has had a lot of flem, but not painful. Other than that I've been very healthy, no medical issues. I don't have any allergies. The dizziness started this morning, and the strange smells have been going on for about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the details. I would like to say that this seems to be most likely due to sinusitis & rhinitis. I am concern about dizziness and persistent smelling strangely which can be found in people with nasal polyps, rhinitis, sinusitis & others like that. Infection can involve the ear and throat. I will highly advise to see your physician for evaluation and tests, may need to start antibiotics in case of bacterial infection. If you still having dizziness then better to visit ER for evaluation. I will suggest to take Beechams tablets cold, flu & decongestant available OTC. Honey lemon tea will also be beneficial. I will also suggest to use anti-septic mouth wash. Avoid spicy, sour food, avoid alcohol. Take hot liquids. You may need to see ENT doctor later on for detail evaluation. Avoid driving on your own and avoid going near to heavy machinery due to dizziness.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.