Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My fiance has been in pain for the past two months. We both

My fiance has been in pain for the past two months. We both think that she has a femoral hernia. I already took her to UPMC Altoona, a pain center and we saw a surgeon on friday. I need to go someplace where they are actually going to help. I was thinking of going to Mount Nittany and see if they can find out anything. What should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 10 months ago.
Hello
A femoral hernia would rapidly progress and cause severe problems typically.
It would not last months and be chronic.
An exam would reveal if it is there.
Certainly an ultrasound would.

Has all of this been done?
What other tests
What did the surgeon say?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well the surgeon said it might be a nerve might remember pain and he think this might be it as well. He checked her on both sides and he said he felt something. She has had a cat scan before and they didn't see anything but reading online about hernias that they can't always be seen on a cat scan. Is this true? The surgeon said that a ultrasound wouldn't find a hernia.

A good surgeon can diagnose this hands on, and would fix it.
A CT is better than an ultrasound. It will miss less.

It sounds to me like the surgeon is saying this is a pinched nerve.
Has any imaging of the lower spine and the hip been done?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She had a cat scan of the lower stomach. She has had surgeries in the past. One for her ovary, gallbladder, and appendix. Do you think scar tissue could be covering up the hernia? All the surgeries have been done on her right side.

Where is this pain exactly
groin? Thigh?
Or somewhere else
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The pain on the right side is in the crease between her leg and groin and on the left side it is 3 inches below her hip. Can a surgeon feel a pinched nerve?

No this needs MRI
Of the lower spine and hip
Since this is on two sides the next step should be an MRI of the lower spine and hip x rays.

I don't think this is a femoral hernia with a negative CT.

I would suggest a doctor that is a specialist in structural problems.
Such as a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD.
We also call these doctors physiatrists. They are experts in figuring out where pinched nerves are. They are plentiful and easy to find.
Simply google "physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors in your city/state."

You can call the center and ask them as well.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please to not forget a positive rating when done.
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc