Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

I am 64, generally in excellent health, but a couple of times

I am 64, generally in excellent health, but a couple of times last year and once again, on Wednesday, I felt a tightening feeling in the chest after working outside on a day-long project, that seemed to call upon a deep suspicion to not push it. I took an asprin, had dinner, and felt totally fine a few hours later and still do now. If this is a heart issue, which of course it may be, why would it come and go like that? I often do strenuous work and varying gymnastic exercises every day, am quite fit compared to most folks my age, and this issue is still a big rarity for me, so it's possible nothing would show up in an exam, right?. What do you recommend? I don't have money to burn. I guess that's 3 questions there so I'll stop now. Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that to be honest yes this can be ischemic heart disease pain such as Angina or heart arrhythmia which can comes like that and this is more typical of heart related chest pain that it comes and go so it persists for less then 30 minutes but in case of MI pain can persist for longer period. The pain comes and go due to narrowing of heart vessels and when a person with possible heart disease does some heavy work then it can trigger the pain. Remember Angina is a cry of the heart for help. It can still come up in the tests such as Heart ECG, Stress test for heart, Heart echo, 24 hr holter monitor, caridac enzymes and other tests. I will highly recommend not to take this pain lightly and if you are having pain right now then visit to ER without any delay. In any case, urgent evaluation at ER or your physician is must for that. Also important to rule out acid-peptic disease with its induced complications such as inflammation of food pipe. Avoid spicy or junk food, avoid alcohol.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience: Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS