Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have had a Urinary Tract infection for the past 4 years.

I have had a Urinary Tract infection for the past 4 years. I was on several rounds of antibiotics in the past that did not work. E.coli is constantly in my urine. A few years ago after being on antibiotics for 3 months straight, my doctor told me there was nothing she can do except give me a script for antibiotics to keep taking. This was a urologist I saw. Well I quit taking the antibiotics 2 years ago. Everyday the UTI symptoms come and go. I noticed when I drink or eat something that has caffeine or a decent amount of sugar, the UTI symptoms come on strong. I do NOT have regular bowel movements and feel that the E.coli in my urine is related to not having bowel movements. I might have 2 bowel movements a month. I eat healthy, lots of fruit. I only drink water and a cup of coffee in the morning- no soda. I exercise 2-3 days a week. I'm 5-5 and 120pds. With Asthma, no other found and documented health issues. A different doctor had me drink a solution of Gatorade and miralax for the constipation issue. In 2 days I had an entire bottle of miralax and never went to the bathroom once. Antibiotics do not help. At this point I am only building an immunity to them and they are no longer killing the E.coli in my urine, I will not take them. There HAS to be an answer or some route I can go. Are there any medical issues that are related to no bowel movements and UTI's?Any relation between E.coli in the intestines to the E.coli that is getting into my bladder? Can you provide me with any resource to take to a doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 10 months ago.
Hello from JA

There is not direct relationship.

However, if your bowel function is messed up, your immune system, in fact, can be dysfunctional.

Let me ask you, have you had a cystoscopy?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Judging by the name, I have not. What is that? I've been to the E.R. several times for not going to the bathroom but nothing happens and nothing gets fixed. I was considering a colonic.

A cystoscopy is done by a urologist...looking into the bladder with a scope
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Actually yes I have, when the 2nd round of antibiotics didnt work I did have a scope. I also mentioned that day of the scope I wasn't going to the bathroom and I was advised to not eat or drink anything but miralax and gatorade for two days. I did that and never went to the bathroom once. I also had a papsmear before the first round of antibiotics and STD testing done. Nothing came back.The scope was quite a few years ago. I also had an internal and external ultra sound. Nothing came back.

scope of the bladder or bowel
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It was a bladder scope. Nothing was done with the bowel with a scope. I made an Emergency room visit because of horrible stomach pain. I drank something before a scan to glow, maybe barium was the name? I was told i was full of poop and was given a bottle of something to drink that was supposed to make me go to the bathroom... it didn't work. It only made me sick.

OK
Tell me your diet exactly
Meal to meal, everything you eat; typical day
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Trust me, no scope can get up there. If I lay on my back, hard things poke out of my stomach. Well breakfast is always fruit like pineapple and gluten free, sugar free cereal or fruit on the cereal. A banana as a snack in the morning, sometimes with peanut butter. I normally dont eat an actual lunch. today I had an egg salad sandwich. Some days its nothing. Dinner was meatloaf, potatoes, green beans, tomato slices and a brownie. A cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day.

OK
Here is what I do i this situation
First of all, an anti-inflammatory bowel stabilizing diet. Yours is not.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

This should be mostly cooked at first.

Use probiotics, 50 billion organisms per 2 tabs daily.

Use colon care by twin lab which has prebiotics and soluble fiber.

Use a product called rephresh which is a probiotic vaginal suppository.

This is all for starters, but should be done for 2 months solid and assess results.

Bowel function should be further assessed functionally, but you should find a functional medicine doctor to help you.

Those can be found here
www.functionalmedicine.org
see the find a practitioner list, upper right.

I would clear out the urinary track with uva ursi, just for a week, using the extract, 3 times a day...not for long term use and should be done under supervision.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc