Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

A 30 year old that wakes up in the morning and sneezes for

A 30 year old that wakes up in the morning and sneezes for about 3-4 minutes. Especially more in the winter and he lives in the UK. Does not sneeze for the rest of the day or have any other health issues. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to reduce?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

any history of allergies?

Customer:

no history of allergies. This happens only in the morning and rest of the day is fine.

Dr. Cameron :

Well, when you are sleeping, material accumulates in your nostrils and your lungs which are not cleared as well when you are awake

Dr. Cameron :

So if you have any particular sensitivities, then this can be worse in the am

Dr. Cameron :

As well, your nose tends to be a little dryer since you are not actively hydrating

Dr. Cameron :

Particularly in the winter if the heat is on

Dr. Cameron :

You may want to consider using a cool mist humidifier to keep the room moist at night

Customer:

ok, that should be it

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I answered your question and provided you with excellent service? :-)?

Customer:

should an allergy test be done?

Dr. Cameron :

I was going to mention that- I wasn't sure if you wanted to hear more

Dr. Cameron :

If it gets worse, you can talk to your doctor about doing allergy testing

Dr. Cameron :

there are some allergens which are seasonal

Dr. Cameron :

mold and dust usually are more common in the winter because the doors are closed

Dr. Cameron :

I wouldn't take any antihistamines if it is only in the am- they have side effects and they are more for serious allergies

Customer:

ok understood

Customer:

how does allergy test work?

Dr. Cameron :

they do skin testing which exposes you to a variety of different substances and then see if you get a local reaction

Customer:

ok great. thanks.

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
HI I was checking to see how you were doing :)