Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

I have had Hepatitis C for 70 when I got it well since 1970.

I have had Hepatitis C for 70 when I got it well since 1970. Back then I had Hep B and when I didn't get better they said I had Hepatitis non A or B. About 18 years ago I was sick and I went to a liver doctor and he put me on Interferon shots. It didn't get rid of it but lowered the liver levels which were higher than normal. At that time I had Fibrosis. Last week I had an ultra sound the Hepatitis C is back and now I have cirrhosis and a cyst in my left kidney, gall stones and my pancreas is looking pre cancerous About how much time do I have left? I was a nurse and watched people die from cirrhosis and it wasn't good. But theirs was from drinking but it was still cirrhosis. I want to end it my way and not hooked up to machines trying to avoid the inventible. I'm 66 and live for my dogs right now. Brandi

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

Brandi

Dr. Cameron :

have they talked to you about treating your hep C?

Customer:

yes but has already caused the cirrhotic live so why bother?

Dr. Cameron :

To prevent the progression of the disease

Dr. Cameron :

just because you have some scarring of the liver doesn't mean that it ceases to function completely

Dr. Cameron :

and your dogs needs you

Customer:

I thought it progressed on its own. I also have ascites and chronic diarrhea.

Dr. Cameron :

have you seen a GI doctor recently?

Dr. Cameron :

are you on the list for transplantation?

Customer:

I thought I would give the kids the things that I want them to have and end it next year on my birthday. Bad subject for transplant because of age and I read that it will go into a new liver too.

Customer:

I guess I am still in shock, denial, anger, and depressed. So don't know exactly what I am going to do.

Dr. Cameron :

Here is the most recent thinking of treatment:

Dr. Cameron :

Cirrhosis due to chronic hepatitis C is now the leading indication for liver transplantation in the United States. Current data from existing clinical trials suggest that 41% of patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C virus infection (HCV) and 73% with genotype 2 or 3 infection with advanced fibrosis or early compensated cirrhosis can achieve sustained virologic response (SVR) to antiviral therapy. However, response to therapy declines with severity of liver disease and nonresponse to prior interferon-based regimens. Although SVR rates are low in patients with decompensated cirrhosis, on-treatment clearance of HCV from blood occurs in about 30% of those with genotype 1 infection and 80% of those with genotype 2 or 3. In addition, recent reports suggest that pretransplantation clearance of HCV RNA from blood may reduce the risk of HCV recurrence after transplantation. In the absence of a virologic cure, maintenance therapy with peginterferon may slow disease progression and reduce the rate of clinical decompensation.

Dr. Cameron :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15184823

Dr. Cameron :

I would talk to your GI doctor. You may find that you have more options than you thought you did

Customer:

I will talk to her next week. I have genotype 1

Dr. Cameron :

ok

Dr. Cameron :

please keep me posted

Dr. Cameron :

41% is pretty good

Customer:

And the HCV has erupted a couple of times but then goes away. They found it due to an over load of iron in my routine blood test. Which is funny because I had to take iron shots because I was anemic

Dr. Cameron :

huh- lucky I guess

Customer:

yeah. My puppies they are 10, 11, and 12 And getting a 3 month old and 8 week old on the 5th of October. So try to keep positive for them. Guess I'm just having a bad week.

Dr. Cameron :

wow. what kind of dogs?

Customer:

one Chihuahua who is the mother. She is blind and diabetic. She mated with my Papillion. and they had 5 puppies. We kept them all. Then he had 2 with his daughter and they are completely crazy. He died from a massive heart attack two years ago. The puppies we are getting are Border Collies

Dr. Cameron :

Sounds like you will be pretty busy!

Customer:

The toy Chihuahua was only supposed to be 5 or less pounds, but she weighs 20

Dr. Cameron :

ha ha

Dr. Cameron :

Well, I hope that I was able to provide you with excellent service tonight?

Customer:

Yeah they saw me coming because I wanteda brindle

Customer:

thank you so much!!!!! Feel better now.

Dr. Cameron :

you are welcome.

Dr. Cameron :

Did I provide you with excellent service? :-)?

Customer:

I will write again when I talk to my Doctor

Dr. Cameron :

great. I appreciate you keeping me updated.

Dr. Cameron :

Customer:

See you net week or later. Depends on when I see her. Brandi

Dr. Cameron :

ok. I trust you will come back and rate this

Customer:

Already did. Bye for now

Dr. Cameron :

you haven't finished the rating yet?

Dr. Cameron :

Brandi- I am confused did you rate this chat or not?

Customer:

yes I did.

Dr. Cameron :

how did you rate it?

Customer:

As high as I could.

Dr. Cameron :

excellent?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Cameron :

thanks!

Dr. Cameron :

I look forward to hearing from you in 1 week

Dr. Cameron :

I will email you to remind you

Brandi
How did you appointment go?