Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Hi Doctor: One of the other doctors was wonderful in trying

Hi Doctor: One of the other doctors was wonderful in trying to help me understand what an enchondroma is. About 10 years ago I injured my knee and an x-ray showed an enchondroma but the radiologist wrote to consider a low grade chondrosarcoma. I went to a few Orthos and they werent concerned. No follow up necessary unless there were pain. All these years I barely had pain unless I injured it. I dont even know if its grown. I am currently having intermittent pain with weight bearing, which I think I did hurt about 2 weeks ago. I am so scared to go to the doctor. Does this type of tumor grow and become cancer?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Customer:

Hi Doctor

Dr. Cameron :

Well, an enchondroma is a type of benign (noncancerous) cartilage tumor that appears on the inside of the bone. Usually these tumors begin to grow in childhood and then cease growing. However, they do remain present throughout adulthood. Often they are found in patients between 10 and 20 years of age incidentally

Dr. Cameron :

Single enchondromas can become cancerous, however- this is really quite rare

Dr. Cameron :

That being said, if you are having pain get an xray

Dr. Cameron :

Because if this is something to be worried about the sooner you address it the better you are

Dr. Cameron :

I know it is scary, but it is scarier not knowing

Customer:

I was about 50 when they found it. I think they said is was about 1mm at the time. If it were a chondrosarcoma would I have a lump on my knee or leg?

Dr. Cameron :

not necessarily if it is growing inwards

Dr. Cameron :

it is completely up to you- you had an injury which can explain your pain

Dr. Cameron :

but it may be a good idea just to get it xrayed just for piece of mind

Customer:

Ok one more question. What would be the odds of it being cancer ?

Dr. Cameron :

overall risk <1% of cases

Customer:

Thats good right?

Dr. Cameron :

YES!

Customer:

Ok Doctor I'll go for an x-ray. Im sure they will see it and probably question it again for further testing. Think maybe it just stopped growing.

Customer:

Im also guessing these tumors are very common that many people apparently have?

Dr. Cameron :

yes they are quite common

Customer:

Thank you doctor for chatting with me. Made me feel better. I need to do the right thing because also for my grandson who is 16 years old and found what they call an nonossyfing lipoma in this knee.

Dr. Cameron :

yes- set a good example!

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I was able to provide you with excellent service? :-)?

Customer:

You most certainly did and much appreciated. Thank you and have a nice night.

Dr. Cameron :

you are welcome. please keep me posted of your results

Customer:

I most definitely will. Thank you again.

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing