Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My legs have been swollen as long as I can remember. People

My legs have been swollen as long as I can remember. People always make fun of me and say I have cankles. I am very active. I workout vigorously for an hour and a half a day. I am 5'7 and weigh 116 pounds. I eat a mostly vegan diet. Why do I struggle with puffy swollen legs?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have any swelling on other parts of body?
Is there edema on legs?
Any tests done so far?
Is there any known medical illness?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not done any tests. Everyone in my family has similar legs so I guess I always thought it was genetic. No swelling anywhere else. I honestly have dealt with this as long I can remember. I have done a lot of research on edema and it seems as though nothing can be done to cure it. So it has felt a little discouraging to say the least.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Tilly,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

I can understand your concern.

The swelling in legs and/or feet can be due to edema.The most common cause of edema are:Prolonged standing,long journeys,increased age,venous insufficiency,varicose veins,certain medications.

Edema can also be due to heart failure, kidney failure, or liver failure.

Genetic is an important & common cause of such shape of legs.

American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) does not consider cankles to be a medical term nor a medical condition, the lack of a clear distinction between the calf and ankles.

If you don’t have a condition that causes swelling, cankles aren’t a health concern.

The fat cells in your ankle are responsible for the engorging of the area between your calf and ankle.While you can't change your genetic makeup, you can implement simple ways to camouflage your cankles.

Following may help you :

-Reduce your salt intake in diet

-Take more fruits and vegetables in a well-balanced diet

-Keep your legs elevated(by pillow) during sleeping.

-Do not stay seated or lying down for long periods of time.

-Continue with physical exercises & vegan diet.

All this will help you greatly to reduce the fluid retention to some extend.

It would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me where I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that most probably the cause of your symptoms is genetic & it is not considered as abnormal/disease.If you are very concern about this then you need to consult your doctor to consider the option of lipo suction accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The thing that made me feel life it was a condition was that when I wake up in the morning my legs are small and when I go to bed at night they are swollen and sore.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Tilly,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

Edema is another term for water retention.Legs & feet swell and look puffy without pain when the body's tissues retain too much fluid.

When you stand upright or sit during day time,due to gravity factor,the fluid gets collected in legs & feet & hence they look swollen & sore.

During night time,the fluid diffuses & go to middle & upper parts of body (due to gravity) & hence you may look quite normal in mornings.

You need following tests:

-Liver,kidney & cardiac function tests(LFT,KFT & CFT)
-Radiographic tests
-Complete urine examination.
-Serum albumin & globulin levels.

If these tests come out to be normal then most probably the cause is genetic.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA

I am a double board certified doctor and I can help you with this. I have a much different answer for you.

The symptom you describe related to sleep is common for venous insufficiency, not liver disease, not heart disease, etc. You do not give any history consistent with these diseases.

There is no basis for us to say this is genetic at this point, and I must point out that the danger here is that venous stasis predisposis you to clots in the legs.

The test needed is an ultrasound.As long as there are no clots, the treatment is exercise, weight loss as indicated, and compression stockings.

In fact, until you have an exam and testing, none of the home treatments recommended are indicated.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Use reply as needed.

Please do not forget a positive rating.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
Hi
Thank you for the accept.
I have to also mention to have your doctor run thyroid studies.
Hypothyroidism is one of the reasons for this finding, and it can run undiagnosed in families. Guidelines have changed, and the TSH needs to be under 2.5.

Chronic hypothyrodism is fairly rampant in the world and a lot of it is undiagnosed these days.

Find me anytime for your answer needs.

DT