Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Im having discomfort from what I believe is due to gall stones.

I'm having discomfort from what I believe is due to gall stones. It's been going on for 3 hours. Can I take a tranquilizer so I can get some sleep?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

What exactly is the site of pain in abdomen?
What is the severity of pain on scale of 1-10?
Do you have nausea or vomiting?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Mid abdominal - more on right side when I lie down. I have vomited tonight. Pain level about 6-7

Dear XXXXX
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The symptoms you have described can be due to cholecystitis.It is inflammation of the gallbladder.It is usually caused by a gallstone in the cystic duct.You need complete medical examination,ultrasound,blood tests.An ultrasound scan can usually detect gallstones, and also if the wall of the gallbladder is thickened (as occurs with cholecystitis).

Yes,you can take tranquilizer to get some sleep,but this will not relieve the pain completely.

Gallstone pain may last several minutes to a few hours. If the abdominal pain is so intense that you can't sit still or find a comfortable position, then you need to go to ER immediate care.

Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

So you need to go to ER (may be not now-depending on severity of pain)for the tests described above to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

should I take the ibuprofen with the tranquilizer?

Dear Barbara
Thank you for asking follow up question.

Yes,you can take Ibuprofen 400 mg along with tranquilizer medication.It is safe to take these medications.
This will relieve the pain & you will get the sleep.

You can consult the doctors at ER for tests & examination accordingly to confirm the exact diagnosis & hence the treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

what does the restlessness signify? if I don't get to a hospital emergency room what can result?

Dear Customer,

Restlessness is also a symptom of gall bladder inflammation/stone or fever or fatigue from vomiting.

Antibiotics are usually administered to reduce the inflammation and/or fight the infection and the gallbladder may be surgically removed.

Because gallbladder attacks can be both very painful and frightening,you may need to go to emergency room to get the necessary treatment otherwise this can cause complications.

Hope this helped.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

what sort of complications?

Dear Barbara,

If gallstones block the bile ducts, pressure increases in the gallbladder, causing a gallbladder attack.Complications include inflammation, or swelling, of the gallbladder and severe damage or infection of the gallbladder, bile ducts, or liver.

This can lead to infection of the gall bladder and is called cholecystitis.This is an urgent problem and requires urgent surgical management of the gall stone disease. If acute cholecystitis is allowed to progress untreated then it can turn in to gangrene of the gall bladder.

So I advice you to take the medications as described above & then consult the doctor accordingly to confirm the exact diagnosis.

Hope this helped.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you very much - you've been most helpful.

Dear Barbara,
Thank you for the words of appreciation.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Hi Barbara
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you taken the medications?
Have you consulted the doctor for tests & examination?
What was final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert