Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I tried to commit suicide and I kept a pretty tight pressure

I tried to commit suicide and I kept a pretty tight pressure on my neck for about 10-seconds should I see a doctor to make sure I did not cause damage to any major arties that supply blood to the brain and heart? Because I heard about dayled hanging deaths and I am very frightened. I want to live.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

If you are not having any symptoms, then there is no reason for you to be seen. However, if you are having any symptoms, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

It is possible that excessive application of pressure could damage some of the internal structures of the neck, but there would be some level of pain or soreness associated with the injury.

Therefore, if there is no pain or discomfort, then there is no need to be seen because of concern about any injury.

On the other hand, anyone that has had a recent suicide effort should be seen. It is good that the desire to commit suicide has passed and that you want to live, but there is concern that the suicidal thoughts may recur, so it would be appropriate to seek treatment for the underlying condition that led to the episode (usually depression, although it could be related to other mental health disorders).

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does the pain have to be unbearable is that the kind of pain that would be associated with significant damage? (Mind you that when I applied the pressure the room started to change colors)
No, the pain does not need to be unbearable. If there is no pain or discomfort, then there is no need to be seen. But if there is pain or discomfort in the neck, then it would be appropriate to be seen. Even in this setting, it is unlikely to be life threatening, but it would be appropriate to be seen.