Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Hello, I took My blood pressure 3 hours ago and it was 201/103

Hello, I took My blood pressure 3 hours ago and it was 201/103 should I go to the emergency room?? I'm 75 and in good health. I have a Dr. app. in the morning at
8am... it's 2:30am
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The current recommendations is that someone with a blood pressure at this level should seek urgent medical attention. It is appropriate to sit and rest and recheck the blood pressure after about 5 or 10 minutes to see if the blood pressure improves. But if the blood pressure remains above 180/110 (and that means either number above that threshold), then it is recommended that you should be seen in the emergency room rather than waiting until in the morning.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know the above advice...but if I don't go to the ER, what can I do while I wait to see the Dr. this morning? I don't seem to have any sign of distress exept forsome anxioty.

You asked if you should go to the emergency room, and the answer is yes, if the blood pressure remains elevated despite resting. Waiting until you have signs of distress is not advisable, as that will only increase your risk for permanent injury, such as a stroke. If you decide to not go to the emergency room, that is your choice, but there is no recommended options for what can be done at home. Even if you wanted to try to treat this at home, you do not have any of the medicines that are typically used to treat a hypertensive crisis.