Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

What are the best alternative treatments for cancer?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

You have not tried any alternate treatment so far, right?

What concurrent medical illness you have?

Diabetes?

Heart problem?

Hypertension?

Thank you very much for the question Abrao.

I am posting an answer since you appear offline for long.

Please note that Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) and complementary and integrative medicine (CIM) are therapies of proven or unproven efficacy. They may work for some, may not work for others.

However, despite this, they have been used to control the symptoms associated with cancer, and promote wellness in the patients. If combined appropriately with the standard cancer treatment, they may be beneficial. And if not adviced and monitored by an expert, there might be great chances of side effects (like any drug).

So one has to carefully plan the CAM therapy by a certified CAM practitioner in close liaison by your oncologist to make this effort a success, and to avoid any side effects.

Since you had cancer in 3 major areas of the body (colon, liver and lungs), we all know that the options are getting limited in case of recurrences, so HONESTLY, i would have tried all kind of therapies at this point with the anticipation that at least some of the treatment will work and provide beneficial effects.

At the same time, i will suggest you to be cautious and avoid over the counter available alternate treatments with out consulting a CAM specialist, since most of these products are scam and the claims they made are outright hoax.

Please read out this useful link;

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/cam

Goodluck and Get well soon :)

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr. Sohaib,

Thank you for your answer. I found it helpful and seemed to agree with my thoughts on the subject. This week we have an appointment with the doctor who did the liver surgery. Inspite of the age difference he and my husband "click" and could probably work well together with a certified CAM practitioner. Also my husband´s oncologist would probably be willing to help along this line. We will see her next week. The only problem I can forsee is finding a certified CAM practitioner. But then maybe our doctors already know of one. After these two doctor visits perhaps I will have more questions to ask you. Thank you for your advice. June

I will be glad to assist you in future as well.

Good luck :)