Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello, I just had my blood test results back and everything

Hello, I just had my blood test results back and everything seems within normal ranges including normal inflammatory markers but my feratine level is 185. Doctor doesn't seem concerned and previous testing in last 2 or three years also indicate a high feratine level. I am concerned as I read that this can indicate chronic disease but what and should I investigate this further?

I also have had the test for hemochromatosis and that is negative.

Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD :

Hello!

Customer:

Hi

Anthony Bray, MD :

I have a reference here that indicates a normal range of 18 to 300 ng /mL but there may be diffferences in units and may also be different ranges of normals between labs that test this marker...

Customer:

Well the normal range is - 165 I think and my was 185

Anthony Bray, MD :

I would not be overly alarmed if this were the only thing that was out of range however...

Customer:

Well what could it indicate?

Anthony Bray, MD :

OK well with a normal upper limit of 165 the 185 is not that strikingly high above it...

Customer:

I think have consistently had a high feratine level

Customer:

same the last i checked 2 or 3 years ago

Customer:

I'm just concerned when I read it can indicate chronic disease, if not what else can cause this.

Anthony Bray, MD :

It may be elevated in hyperthyroidism, inflammatory states, liver disease, neoplasms, iron replacement therapy, leukemia, hemochromatosis which you have tested negative for...

Customer:

well I know that my thyroid function came back ok as with inflammatory markers ... liver function seems ok as well

Anthony Bray, MD :

I would not interpret that the slight elevation would be considered significant if everything else was normal...

Anthony Bray, MD :

All that is reassuring.,...

Customer:

is there anything I can do to get it down?

Anthony Bray, MD :

Especially that your liver function tests are OK would seem reassuring to me...

Anthony Bray, MD :

No that is not even the goal!

Customer:

It is not? because isn't it bad too have too much iron ?

Anthony Bray, MD :

This mild lab elevation does NOT by itself indicate ANY DISEASE!!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Therefore it does not need to be treated!!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Your serum iron level is OK isn't it??

Customer:

yes it is I think

Customer:

I can't remember now I need to check the results which I don't have with me

Anthony Bray, MD :

Right so the ferritin level BY ITSELF is not indicating a disease state...

Customer:

can you advice as to why this ferritin level may be high in this case?

Anthony Bray, MD :

You are right in that you would not want to have a chronically high iron lebvel but this is only one measure of a protein carrying iron...

Anthony Bray, MD :

It by no means is the whole picture not even from the standpoint of your iron!!

Anthony Bray, MD :

It may be nothing more than a genetic tendency in your case...

Anthony Bray, MD :

I do not have a solid reason why this one marker has been elevated on your labs...

Customer:

Well I guess if my ferritin level was high 2 years ago and I'm still here with no obvious sign of disease maybe that's just normal for me

Anthony Bray, MD :

Exactly...

Customer:

I was just wondering if I needed to consume less iron

Anthony Bray, MD :

We have no disease that we know of that ONLY is marked by mildly elevated ferritin...

Anthony Bray, MD :

Well you would not seem to need to have iron supplementation but I see no need to have you conciously restrict iron from your diet either at this point...

Anthony Bray, MD :

You are well with no symptoms of any disease as far as I know at this point so no action would seen needed to me!!

Customer:

Thank you for that information, I was quite worried that I may have something going on that requires further investigation. I do have gastritis for the last month (diagnosed by symptoms only)

Anthony Bray, MD :

We can't improve on asymptomatic non-disease states!!

Customer:

and I haven't really been improving on my PPIs .. so I've not exactly been feeling well

Customer:

which is why i got the blood tests done in the first place

Anthony Bray, MD :

Well if you have symptoms of gastritis that would be reason to take steps such as dietary changes and perhaps medicine such as the PPI's ... The ferrtin however should not be a point of concern since it does not appear to be associated with other problems such as liver disease in your case...

Customer:

ok ... thank you very much for your help Dr

Anthony Bray, MD :

With your gastritis be sure that you shy away from all GI irritants as well as take your medicine for it!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Avoid anti-inflammatory meds,

Anthony Bray, MD :

Avoid coffee, alcohol...

Customer:

I have been on medication for over three weeks ... I don't take any pain meds ... I never drink coffee or alcohol but I have chronic stress

Anthony Bray, MD :

Avoid hot , spicy and acidic foods...

Customer:

and I did love spicy foods

Customer:

probably a combination of both, I am hoping to see improvement soon a month of feeling bad is quite depressing and it makes me anxious

Anthony Bray, MD :

(Tomatoes, onions, peppers, citurs fruits may aggravate the condition but later once stomach has healed these may be OK for you again...

Anthony Bray, MD :

Well I hope that you feel better soon!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Customer:

Thanks very much

Anthony Bray, MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray, MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice