Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Hi doc! Im a 23 year old med student. 2-3 days back I noticed

Hi doc!
Im a 23 year old med student. 2-3 days back I noticed some burning over the skin of my left elbow. When I had a look, it was a 8mm cut with dried blood and a bit of scab on it. The cut maybe a max of 2-4mm in width. The problem is I can't remember where I got it from. I've been working in hospital in Boston for the last 3 weeks. I don't know if I got it from an edge of a table although I think that is most likely. Now considering the environment I move in such as the hospital (BWH) I'm worried that I may have caught a BBV such as hep C. I know that HIV is not a possibility. Its just a cut of unknown cause and is causing worry. Please help me! I'd be very grateful
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Hello there future doctor. :)

the chances of catching hepatitis C in this manner is so small it is insignificant.

In fact, there has never been one case of reported fomite exposure.

Not possible
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Dr Phil. This was just a cut I just noticed yesterday and it has been bothering me a lot. So I guess I should put this behind me and forget about it?

You're welcome Ayaaz.

Absolutely.

It is common to have anxiety about diseases as you learn about them

We ALL go through this.

There is absolutely no way you got Hep C or HIV.

You are more likely to get MRSA actually. :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah you hit the nail there. You're right its more anxiety..

I feel a lot better. Would it be okay if I asked you another question about some silly things I've done in the past? It is in relation to hepatitis C itself. I hope not to get judged though. Please let me know if its okay asking another question. Many thanks

Sure. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok here it goes..basically I received unprotected fellatio from an Asian escort..hate myself for it.....don't know why I did this.. happened almost 3 weeks back..absolutely no symptoms so far..I feel I've dodged herpes, NGU and possibly gonorrhoea.. chlamydia as they say can be asymptomatic..can't say about syphilis though (yet). Again, HIV is not a possibility I've been told. Still hep C is bugging me..is oral sex a risk factor for acquisition at all?

Actually you are 100% clear Ayaaz.

A recent trial showed that unprotected sex is basically not a risk factor for hep C transmission.

So oral sex risk is nil

You are okay. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh really? Oh wow..is it allowed on this site to send links or abstracts at all? I'll be glad to look it up on uptodate or pubmed. Please send me the reference..for educational purposes..I hope it's okay with you Dr Phil. I promise I won't bug you again. Thanks a ton !

Here is the link Ayaaz

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15128350

Please don't forget a positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)