DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am a 22 year old female and was diagnosed with hypertension

I am a 22 year old female and was diagnosed with hypertension a year ago. Around the same time I was having high blood pressure I gained over 50 pounds in five months despite strict diet and exercise. I am extremely fatigued and continue to gain weight. I have red/brown stretch marks on my thighs and sides of my stomach, they sometimes change colors. My B12 is low and I take monthly injections to increase my levels. Recently I was diagnosed with PCOS due to elevated free and total testosterone and an ultrasound showing cysts on my ovaries. My Renin is elevated out of the normal range. My 17OH progesterone as well as prolactin are elevated. My ACTH in 2012 was 18 and in August was 41 (Range: 6-50) my TSH is also fluctuating. In 2009 it was: 1.75 , In July of 2012: 1.73, October 2012: 2.13, December 2012: 3.23, June 2013: 1.00 and August 2013: 3.21. All of my cortisol tests have been normal. Could this be Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism, something else or more problems due to PCOS?
Hello from ja
I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified physician and clinician and I will help you with this and any follow up questions.

Part of this is due to the PCOS
But you are also hypothyroid.
Guidelines have changed.
Any TSH over 2.5 should raise the issue of hypothyrodism.
You would probably benefit immensely from a low dose of synthroid.

I would see an endocrinologist.

Most doctors are still not up to date on this.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Is it possible to gain such rapid weight and have stretch marks due to hypothyroidism? Thank you again for your helpful information!

Yes it is
But you should also should have an am cortisol test.

Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.