911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

i have severe itching all over due to high bilirubin levels

Customer Question

i have severe itching all over due to high bilirubin levels i have gallstones plus i had 7stones in the bile duct i had these removed 1month ago and m booked in for gallbladder surgery 7october will the itch leave when i have my surgery and have u any remidies i have been on 4 different antihisimines plus creams im at my wits end can u help
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 12 months ago.

911DOC :

I feel bad for your terrible itching.

911DOC :

And yes, when your gallbladder is removed and your bilirubin returns to normal you should no longer itch

911DOC :

I am a bit confused as to why the surgery is not sooner

911DOC :

and if you develop fever and pain, at least here, you would be getting your gall bladder out right away.

911DOC :

the fact is that if you have jaundice because of gallstones you should have a very low threshold for going to the Emergency department if you have any worsening, particularly worsening pain in the right upper area of your abdomen, or fever.

911DOC :

Unfortunately, there is not much to offer you for the itch besides antihistamines.

911DOC :

And I only wish they were having a better effect for you.

911DOC :

I don't know how much you can push for your surgery to be sooner, but if it were me that is what I would be doing.

911DOC :

I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best

Expert:  911DOC replied 12 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.