Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

Hi, I have a pulmonary nodule that was found in a chest x ray

Hi, I have a pulmonary nodule that was found in a chest x ray today at the ER.
The reason why I went there in the first place was because Ive had post nasal drip for 3 months now which leads to cough, heartburn and acid coming up all the time. This sInus problems came from an issue I have had with mold in the house which now is taken care of and also I had a toilet leak where all the carpets in the house was soaking wet, I have been breathing in the coli from the toilet water (isn't that whats in toilet water) etc for 3months that was in my carpet. , just changing the carpet now.(rent property)
Right away the same day of the water leak my sinuses went crazy and it has been really bad since. One doctor gave me Zpack and it didn't work at all, another doc gave me prednisone 10 mg 6 times a day then less every 2 days for 12 days. This helped but after 5 days I had ballooned up 12 pounds and I didn't even eat so I stopped it little by little and only did a total of 8 days, then the whole problem came back (carpet was still there and I was breathing it in)
My question is, can I have lung cancer from all this, could that nodule be cancer from this happened 11 weeks ago?
Im so scared and can of course not sleep nor eat. THANK YOU :))

Ps Doctor today prescribed me doxycycline 100 mg tablet 2 times a day for 7 days plus Flonase nose spray plus guanifenesin 12 mg orlal tablet.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Do you have history of smoking?

Family history of lung cancer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I never smoked nor have I been around smoke, my grandfather died of lung cancer because he smoked(cigarettes and cigars) all his life since teenager. Nobody else and no other cancer in my family.

Thank you

Thank you very much for the useful information.

With a negative history of smoking; and the fact that none of your parents had it, its extremely unlikely that this nodule represent a lung cancer.

Moreover you did not lose any weight; and do not have other symptoms suggestive of lung cancer such as coughing out blood (hemoptysis).

Infact in over 99% of the cases, such pulmonary nodules turn out to be of benign nature. This simply represent a calcification, granuloma, or an old healed lesion from a previous chest infection.

Therefore, stay relaxed and do not panic.

At your age the possibility of cancer is least likely; with no symptoms suggestive of cancer, no history of smoking, the chances are almost negligible.

To be absolutely sure about this, your doctor may order a CT scan of the chest which will rule out any serious possibility like a cancer, and will help put your mind at ease.

Stay relaxed.

Goodluck :)

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much

Pleasure is all mine.

Its reassuring that you never smoked, please stick to "no-smoking habbit".

Take Care and good luck.