Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

What should one do if one suspects one might have Thrombophlebitis?

What should one do if one suspects one might have Thrombophlebitis? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Which area of the body do you suspect to be affected?

What symptoms do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For over 7 days, my legs have been hurting off and on, on different locations in my legs. It's mild to moderate pain. From time to time, my feet and a little above seem to be swollen just a little bit. It feels like there might be a little water retention from time to time. When I do a little walking, standing, and moving around, this symptom improves. I used www.freemd.com and the virtual doctor said that it might be Thrombophlebitis.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Jaime.

Okay this can be either due to fluid build up in the legs/feet or due to a clot in the veins of the leg.

You should see a doctor immediately to rule out this serious possibility of blood clots in the leg.

A doppler scan of the lower limbs will diagnose this with certainty.

So have this examined ASAP preferably at ER; and ruling out any thing serious will put your mind at ease.

If the doctor find a clot, he will start you on blood thinner medications which will minimize the chances of any complications.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But what are some home care procedures I can do in the meantime to improve symptoms until 1:00 p.m. tomorrow when I can go to the clinic? Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Okay,

You should not walk much and avoid sternous physical activity.

Drink lot of water.

Take an aspirin tablet.

Elevate the legs by placing pillow under them when you lie down.

Thats sufficient to be done at home.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities