Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

What whould the angrogen effects be if I was taking finesteride

What whould the angrogen effects be if I was taking finesteride to help stem hair loss?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

finasteride is proscar and blocks the conversion of testosterone into 5 alpha dihydrotestosterone in cells like the prostate gland cells.

it doesn't low serum or blood testosterone levels.

make sure you get your testosterone and estrogen levels checked.

extra testosterone in your system can get converted into estrogen. you might need an aromatase inhibitor to block this conversion

you really should consult an endocrinologist.

why are you taking the progesterone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I mentioed earlier, I am seeing increased hair loss over the past few months. My GP is willing to administer finesteride as a trial for the hair loss but thinks that the "androgen effects" I am suplimenting now will be deminished and possible ED. Do you have any insights on this specificaly? What is the literature on this combination? (testosterone and finesteride administered concurently)

Thanks,

Owen

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Incomplete answer. Please provide information related to the specific questions.

Hello & welcome!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
There is no evidence that Finasteride would have increased side-effects of ED when used in conjunction with Testosterone. As far as androgen effect is concerned, if the effect is not related to DHT (since finasteride block conversion of Testosterone to DHT) than this will not be an issue.
Effects related to prostate size & hair loss are the most prominent changes that are affected by using Finasteride.
Other effects are generally not significant. However, only a trial of medication can confirm if there would be any significant issues.
I would agree with Dr David in that you should be ideally examined and treated by an Endocrinologist.
Regards
Dr Gupta, MD
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, we are trying to find a Endocrinologist as suggested in the Toronto area that treats "men" and is also working "with bioidentical topical hormones" (testosterone and progesterone). We have also consulted the compounding pharmasist to provide insights and possible referals to a mens hormone specialist. It appears that there are few specialist in this area of medicine. Research, networking and being self directed appear to be the only way to self-manage my health file untill we find a specialising Doctor. I am now looking into aromatase inhibators to better understand this possibility. We have extensive lab results; estrodol, free testosterone, bioavailable testosterone ...as well as DHT, lab results on the way. We will provide this information to a specialist once we find one.

Any insights or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Owen